It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Silly law etc 
Primary Schools Player

Post Silly law etc
I've been away from the forum for a while, so this might have been aired before. If it has then I apologise.
What is the point of a TMO? The referee is sole judge of fact, so can anyone tell me why, when the referee sees the same picture on the screen does he rely on what he TMO has seen and not his own eyes? As a former referee in another life, I'm bewildered!

Also the new high tackle directive is flawed. When a player with the ball ducks so low as to make a low tackle impossible, does the prospective tackler stop to allow the player with the ball score a try? Scarlet's penalty try was because of this silly law. Surely the referee should have some latitude in the decision.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Silly law etc
MULER wrote:
I've been away from the forum for a while, so this might have been aired before. If it has then I apologise.
What is the point of a TMO? The referee is sole judge of fact, so can anyone tell me why, when the referee sees the same picture on the screen does he rely on what he TMO has seen and not his own eyes? As a former referee in another life, I'm bewildered!

Also the new high tackle directive is flawed. When a player with the ball ducks so low as to make a low tackle impossible, does the prospective tackler stop to allow the player with the ball score a try? Scarlet's penalty try was because of this silly law. Surely the referee should have some latitude in the decision.

It did seem that none of the players thought anything until the crowd roared after the replay went on the screen.
Technology is here to stay though, so get used to it..even cricket uses it...

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:34 pm
World XV Player

Football has shin guards, Cricket has the box, maybe a collar with a Gforce detector should be introduced. Buzzzz, yellow card there.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

MULER wrote:

Scarlets' pen try was because of an offence commited in the act of scoring. Would have been a pen try last year too.

Refs are advised in this situation to remove the offending player from the equation. Remove either of the 2 illegal tackles from Aled and he scores.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wasp wrote:
MULER wrote:

Scarlets' pen try was because of an offence commited in the act of scoring. Would have been a pen try last year too.

Refs are advised in this situation to remove the offending player from the equation. Remove either of the 2 illegal tackles from Aled and he scores.

Was it? Genuine question as I was under a different impression, Scrum V will clear it up in about an hour though!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:39 pm
World XV Player

Interesting to see how differently the Welsh pundits presented this, compared to their counterparts over the bridge,

In Wales we had comments like 'referees going berserk over the new rule'. I was watching an Aviva programme last night where the pundits were more measured, saying this was about the game as a whole, not just the pro game. They were pointing out that the real damage from high tackles was being done in the lower levels of rugby, and this is why it was so important to stick with the rule.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Interesting to see how differently the Welsh pundits presented this, compared to their counterparts over the bridge,

In Wales we had comments like 'referees going berserk over the new rule'. I was watching an Aviva programme last night where the pundits were more measured, saying this was about the game as a whole, not just the pro game. They were pointing out that the real damage from high tackles was being done in the lower levels of rugby, and this is why it was so important to stick with the rule.

I remain to be assured that the rule will reduce high tackles. As an attacking player I think you have an incentive to force the opposition to make a high tackle. A bit like diving in the penalty box.

No one can are deny that high tackles that are dangerous should be stopped but the intent and the potential for danger should be assessed by the ref using a bit of reason. The replays should also be in real time.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Hate to agree (or disagree, either way?) but for me, the Scarlets had a gift from the ref on the day and they should keep it quiet or else this referee will be in demand by every home team in every league!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:04 pm
World XV Player

Anyone who played rugby back in the day will have no problem with this rule. Players will just have to tackle how us old timers had to, i.e. go low around the waist and slide down the legs.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact the rugby may become more entertaining as offloads become easier.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:19 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Anyone who played rugby back in the day will have no problem with this rule. Players will just have to tackle how us old timers had to, i.e. go low around the waist and slide down the legs.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact the rugby may become more entertaining as offloads become easier.

How can you go low around the waist and slide down the legs when a player is diving for the line from 2 yards out :dontknow:

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

How can you go low around the waist and slide down the legs when a player is diving for the line from 2 yards out :dontknow:
It's too late isn't it - the player scores and that's how it should be. More entertainment, more points. Luvly.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:33 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Keith L wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

It's too late isn't it - the player scores and that's how it should be. More entertainment, more points. Luvly.

Ill remember that post next time it happens to the Scarlets or god forbid Wales :thefinger:

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:46 pm
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Keith L wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Ill remember that post next time it happens to the Scarlets or god forbid Wales :thefinger:

Up yours ya Scotch git, leave Wales out of it!! :D

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:00 pm
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Keith L wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

I'd me more concerned about him calling you "Luvly" :shock: Grooming is something the mods should be keeping a eye on :shock:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Keith L wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

I think I was 9 when I was told in our 22 tackle the ball not the man

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 pm