It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:49 am

How is it not racist 
Mini Player

Post How is it not racist
English clubs have an agreement that only English players can be released for training and games outside the international window.. They are going to fine Northampton for releasing North for Australia game.

So how would that work I'm any other business in the uk?

there is probably a very simple law stating that other nationalities can be treated differently than English (qualified) players but how does it work in practice outside Premiership Rugby?? Can shops give certain nationalities days off and force others in for training days

it could be innocent enough, they just want to keep foreigners in their place, i.e. below England in the IrB table by not letting them train and play

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: How is it not racist
it will be in the wording. I believe it is a case of as there is an agreement in place with the RFU for English players, then no other nations players should be released. It is a general statement and not aimed at any single nationality therefore isn't racist. Also the english only deal with the RFU again isn't racist, because the RFU can only negotiate on deals for players within its own jursdiction :)

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

remember a few years ago a hospital advertised for a welsh speaking worker and were fined for being "racist" cos only welsh people would be able to speak welsh, this was in the north though.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

Thanks..

That sounds likeZimbabwe . No foreigners are allowed. Unless they benefit us But that is on a total different scale.. And I know it's not really comparable.. I am sorry but that is the only nationalised restrictions which spring to mind

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Not sure about racist, but surely there is some EU trade law preventing such kind of practice?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
Not sure about racist, but surely there is some EU trade law preventing such kind of practice?

Like a national side trying to deny a club playing a player who is contracted to that club ............... nah!

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The RFU and PPL are supposedly on the same side. If the Northampton sign a 'foreign' player like North, one would assume that it should be for the benefit of the team throughout the year. You want neither journeymen or players that aren't available.

I really don't wish to get into the debate about Welsh internationals for the regions, but to some extent I can see the argument why it might not be beneficial for a team to have internationals. However, I think even the most hardened Scarlet's fan would surely see the release of a player benefit the Welsh team than the Scottish/English/French or whatever.

It is no more racist than an NWQ limit or NEQ limit. Or indeed only allowing nationally qualified players to play for the national team. In anything other than sport, this would seem crazy.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Splott13 wrote:
English clubs have an agreement that only English players can be released for training and games outside the international window.. They are going to fine Northampton for releasing North for Australia game.

there is probably a very simple law stating that other nationalities can be treated differently than English (qualified) players but how does it work in practice outside Premiership Rugby?? Can shops give certain nationalities days off and force others in for training days

it could be innocent enough, they just want to keep foreigners in their place, i.e. below England in the IrB table by not letting them train and play
More like 'restrictive practice'

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
Splott13 wrote:

restrictive practice, due to religion, colour, race or nationality.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

jimcardiff wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:
Splott13 wrote:

restrictive practice, due to religion, colour, race or nationality.
Bath water to hot was it Jim? :D

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I'd like to see the Saints take the RFU to court.
The RFU will lose the case.
They cannot rule against a player/worker negotiating an employment agreement.
If they lose the case in England they'll win on appeal to Brussels.
OK so it's just my opinion, but trust me I'm almost a doctor (of Law).

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
I'd like to see the Saints take the RFU to court.
The RFU will lose the case.
They cannot rule against a player/worker negotiating an employment agreement.
If they lose the case in England they'll win on appeal to Brussels.
OK so it's just my opinion, but trust me I'm almost a doctor (of Law).

Its not the RFU's rule. Its the PRL

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:15 pm
World XV Player

RFU pay the clubs to release English international players on certain dates outside the international window. Otherwise they would not release them.

The WRU, SRU, IRFU etc do not pay the English clubs to release players outside the international window. That is why the party line is not to release non-English internationals for dates they aren't obligated to release them for.

That's how it's not racist.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:18 pm
World XV Player

Doesn't the Bosman ruling have relevance on this?

2. A wise wolf hides his fangs.

3. He who steals an egg will steal more.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

DragonBalls wrote:
Doesn't the Bosman ruling have relevance on this?

Don't think it has any relevance at all.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:22 pm