It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 116  Next
RGC - the adventure continues 
Schools District Player

Post Re: RGC - the adventure continues
Langland Exile wrote:
Old Second Row wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Bouch wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
Very impressed with RGC..good on them.

That lengthy experiment with the Scarlets did them the power of good and Horse gee'd them up a bit.

Being sick to death at the way the Scarlets were running things and setting up their own side was what 'geed them up'. The initial investment and drive from a couple of individuals back in 2008 got it started, then when the money ran out the union stepped in to help, as so much hard work had already happened they didn't want to see it go to waste. With union backing on the table, Conwy council got involved and paid for the upgrading of Eirias, then with a proper league berth in the offing, the Gogs were able to attract Horseman, who was utterly brilliant and took things forward.

The only thing the Scarlets did was alienate an entire generation of Gog talent.

IMO the most important development for the future of Welsh rugby over the last decade - ymlaen y Gogs! :thumbright:

Also shows if the WRU and Councils and investors collaborate, something can be built. All credit to them and compare it to the shame of the disaster operation at Newport

Look forward to you saying the same about Llanelli

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:37 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I suppose the big difference is that Conwy council still own Eirias - RGC just play there.
Had they built the stadium and handed it and the surrounding land over to them for free, and allowed them to sell part of it off, you may have a point.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:37 pm
Schools District Player

spinbreath wrote:
I suppose the big difference is that Conwy council still own Eirias - RGC just play there.
Had they built the stadium and handed it and the surrounding land over to them for free, and allowed them to sell part of it off, you may have a point.

Or had RGC paid £8m up front in rent costs, there may be a point and you wouldn't have written that the stadium was built for free.

Carmarthenshire Council own the stadium and the land, but not the lease.

So maybe the 'big difference' is not as you see it.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I'll say it again. Conwy council own the stadium, RGC just play there.
You'll notice it's not called Parc y Gogs. You'll notice RGC isn't spelled out across the seats.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:37 pm
Schools District Player

spinbreath wrote:
You'll notice it's not called Parc y Gogs. You'll notice RGC isn't spelled out across the seats.

I'll say it again. Carmarthenshire Council own the stadium. Scarlets paid £8m to play there. And upkeep on top.

For the £8m they got to name it and choose the decor and not rely on the WRU to pay for everything.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:03 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Yonkers wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

I'll say it again. Carmarthenshire Council own the stadium. Scarlets paid £8m to play there. And upkeep on top.

For the £8m they got to name it and choose the decor and not rely on the WRU to pay for everything.

And they got to sell half the car park and pocket the cash, allegedly.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 pm
Schools District Player

spinbreath wrote:
Yonkers wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

No, they sold their lease on the land.

Council, pro rugby team and WRU partnership. Just like RGC except it's only two parties there.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Heard a chap in work commenting that RGC are stuffed chock full of English players and that the Union are wasting good money on them! :lol:

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
Heard a chap in work commenting that RGC are stuffed chock full of English players and that the Union are wasting good money on them! :lol:

RGC = Royal Gentlemans Club

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Yonkers wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Yonkers wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

No, they sold their lease on the land.

Council, pro rugby team and WRU partnership. Just like RGC except it's only two parties there.

That carpark they sold the lease on was a place for people attending Scarlets games to park their cars. ie part of the business plan of Scarlets rugby.
The Scarlets have presumably decided that they will never achieve regular capacity crowds at their stadium so didn't need the space for cars.
So well done Scarlets who have demonstrated their lack of ambition, vision and commitment and pocketed a few 100 grand.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Quote:
Wales are set to play Welsh Premiership side RGC 1404 at Parc Eirias on 2 June ahead of their departure to face Tonga.

The Test against Tonga will be staged in another country, likely New Zealand, due to concerns over the suitability of the stadium in Nuku'alofa.

Quote:
Forwards coach Robin McBryde will lead the trip while Warren Gatland and Rob Howley are involved in the British and Irish Lions tour of New Zealand.

Wales face Tonga on 17 June before travelling to face Samoa on 24 June.

Quote:
McBryde will be joined on the tour by regional coaches Danny Wilson, Matt Sherratt and Stephen Jones who will be part of his backroom staff.

Apart from any Lions who are selected, Wales will field a full strength side against RGC 1404, who are fourth in the Premiership table at the moment.

Nice. Money for North Wales at last .....

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 am
thread ruining clique

I'm not complaining about Wales coming to Eirias, but a full International side v a semi pro side? That sounds frigging dangerous. :shock:

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:45 am
Regional Player

spinbreath wrote:
I'm not complaining about Wales coming to Eirias, but a full International side v a semi pro side? That sounds frigging dangerous. :shock:

Yeah, I can't imagine the score being too flattering to the gogs.

The wording seems to suggest that the side will be Wales-Lions; which presumably means that's what will tour Tonga and Samoa. That's good; the side that toured Japan in 2013 (and lost) was more like Wales U23; there were dozens of non-Lions players that weren't taken (Hook, James, Priestland, etc.).

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

It'll probably be uncontested scrums so not too dangerous.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Here we go again;

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15163797.Bedwas_chief_Law_fuming_over_scheduling_of_RGC_clash/

Feb 11 Llandovery v RGC 2:00pm
Fed 11 Wales v England 4:50pm

Feb 25 Aberavon v RGC 12:00pm
Feb 25 Scotland v Wales 2.25pm

As an aside: 6am seems a little late to be setting off for a 1pm kick off. :scratch:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:28 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 116  Next