It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 116  Next
RGC - the adventure continues 
World XV Player

Post Re: RGC - the adventure continues
Llew wrote:
They are literally a breath of fresh air.

How does that work?

Well done to RGC. All that investment had to pay off at some point.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

GN100 wrote:
Llew wrote:

How does that work?

You missed the opening part of my post, which applies here :

"It really doesn't surprise me when people start whining and moaning about literally anything in Welsh rugby"

As to your question, work it out for yourself.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

GarethW wrote:
Guys: anyone know any financial reasons why a side with an average gate of 1,500 can afford more resources than one with 300? It's just hard to see where some of this 'funding' might be coming from, perhaps I'll give this some more thought when I'm stuck in the beer queue next home game.

Advantage GarethW :D

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:22 pm
International Player

GN100 wrote:
Llew wrote:

How does that work?

If you think through what you've posted you might realize it's an example of the usual breath of fetid air.
If you need an explanation."All that investment had to pay off at some point." is both a whine and ball locks. The usual is for clubs especially the "great and the good" to get investment and it never to pay off.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

with no return either

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:41 pm
World XV Player

eog wrote:
jak wrote:

Let me see - Marc Jones coach, Phil Jones player-coach, Bottica flyhalf, Lotts imported direct from South Afica at centre (prior to even being in the Premier division).

One could go on but its pretty obvious the WRU have spent a disproportionate amount of cash establishing a club in the north which most would agree is an admirable aim but one would question whether it is also correct to starve the other similarly ranked clubs of the resources they need to exist or heaven forbid develop. I would be surprised if they dont manage to create a region in north wales but suspect it will be at the total demise of the lower clubs. Their sole interest is in developing regions and academies and RGC14 fits in fine with that philosophy. Clubs are a thorn in 'perfect hairs' foot.

RGC1404 apart from having a crap name looks like being an embryo of a genuine regional team. One currently playing in the Prem. That is, among other things, providing a step up to a higher level of rugby for players in North Wales, whatever club they come from. That to me suggests that it's evolution will be different to the four "regional" teams we have at the moment even if the WRU has other ideas..

Agree and they a genuine region and unlike the others, everyone involved is pulling in the same direction. As for the name, RGC is fine but the 1404 could go really.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

tom21 wrote:
eog wrote:
jak wrote:

Let me see - Marc Jones coach, Phil Jones player-coach, Bottica flyhalf, Lotts imported direct from South Afica at centre (prior to even being in the Premier division).

One could go on but its pretty obvious the WRU have spent a disproportionate amount of cash establishing a club in the north which most would agree is an admirable aim but one would question whether it is also correct to starve the other similarly ranked clubs of the resources they need to exist or heaven forbid develop. I would be surprised if they dont manage to create a region in north wales but suspect it will be at the total demise of the lower clubs. Their sole interest is in developing regions and academies and RGC14 fits in fine with that philosophy. Clubs are a thorn in 'perfect hairs' foot.

RGC1404 apart from having a crap name looks like being an embryo of a genuine regional team. One currently playing in the Prem. That is, among other things, providing a step up to a higher level of rugby for players in North Wales, whatever club they come from. That to me suggests that it's evolution will be different to the four "regional" teams we have at the moment even if the WRU has other ideas..

Agree and they a genuine region and unlike the others, everyone involved is pulling in the same direction. As for the name, RGC is fine but the 1404 could go really.

We are planning a little bit of rebranding in the near future.
I believe the idea will be to phase out the 1404 and look at what RGC means to the wider audience, which at the moment is nothing.
'RGC' tells no one what we do, who we are or where we are from.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

MajorMellons wrote:
tom21 wrote:
eog wrote:
jak wrote:

I believe the idea will be to phase out the 1404 and look at what RGC means to the wider audience, which at the moment is nothing.

I'd like a change of name but to make it something that is Welsh, but can be read out on the main news on BBC. I can't think of anything off the top of my head. But ' Y Gogledd' must be up there?

I've never seen the Welsh obsession with giving things two names - Ddraig, Gleision, Sgarlets and Gweilch in addition to the English names... why not just give them a Welsh name? When it comes to brands, they should have one proper noun. On a similar note, you see new housing developments given both an English name and a Welsh translation.

Additionall 'Rygbi Gogledd Cymru' is a mouthful.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

MajorMellons wrote:
tom21 wrote:
eog wrote:
jak wrote:

It isn't going to be Dragons is it?

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

tom21 wrote:
MajorMellons wrote:
tom21 wrote:
eog wrote:
jak wrote:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhush!

:D

It isn't going to be Dragons is it?

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Club Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Quote:

I'd like a change of name but to make it something that is Welsh, but can be read out on the main news on BBC. I can't think of anything off the top of my head. But ' Y Gogledd' must be up there?

I've never seen the Welsh obsession with giving things two names - Ddraig, Gleision, Sgarlets and Gweilch in addition to the English names... why not just give them a Welsh name? When it comes to brands, they should have one proper noun. On a similar note, you see new housing developments given both an English name and a Welsh translation.

I would say that RGC says exactly what you do (Rygbi), who you are and where you are from (Gogledd Cymru), but then, I'm a Welsh speaker. I think it would be a terrible shame if any new name weren't in Welsh, even if it remains an acronym.

I would like to see a different kit though - the existing one is too much like the Dragons' and is the third region of the five with black as the main colour.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Yr Eryrod

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:17 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Eryr?

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Quote:

I would say that RGC says exactly what you do (Rygbi), who you are and where you are from (Gogledd Cymru), but then, I'm a Welsh speaker. I think it would be a terrible shame if any new name weren't in Welsh, even if it remains an acronym.

I would like to see a different kit though - the existing one is too much like the Dragons' and is the third region of the five with black as the main colour.

I think the name should be in Welsh. But I don't see the point in having a Welsh and English name. As far as I know, many brands are internationally known by one name, which either has little meaning or loses its meaning after a while.

E.g, The Rolling Stones are known internationally by that name and (as far as I know), there isn't a French, Welsh, Italian or Japanese version of the name that means 'Stones that roll'.

Coming back to the Ospreys - the rugby's association with that particular bird of prey is tenuous at best. And other than their emblem, I doubt mentioning the Ospreys (certainly for those familiar with the team) ever makes you think of birds, so I'm not certain (firstly why they went with that name) and then why they needed a Welsh 'Gweilch'?.

'Y Ddraig' would suit me!

Anyway, apologies, I'm labouring a point...move on... back to the rugby.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Black and yellow has always been the colours of the North Wales team.
The name RGC means - as I would hope you all know - North Wales Rugby. It is the name of the region. RGC 1404 is the name of the senior regional representative team, 1404 referring to the year of Owain Glyndwr's (a famous Gog) rise to power.
Hope that clears up any confusion.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:20 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 116  Next