It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Wanna join a Region.. a true story.. 
World XV Player

Post Wanna join a Region.. a true story..
I decided that if I'm going to debate Regional rugby I should join one. Decided the honourable choice, given my current vantage point, should be the one encompassing place of birth... Applied to Ospreys, found their internet site and started from there....

- thought I'd buy some kit for the grandsons and get them involved too..... no online facility... must buy direct from Neath or Swansea shop. Abandoned!

-Chose £25 membership for 'remote' members. Looked up site and had to print out application form - no direct online facility.

-ploughed on... decided to pay by credit card.... £2.50 charge....!

-Got the scent now so continued..... couldn't collect membership from Neath or Swansea shop, no online facility, must use snail mail .... £5 extra charge for receiving membership particulars by post ...!

Abandoned campaign..... might look up others to see if life might be easier and/or less expensive elsewhere....

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:40 pm
World XV Player

And their backs are miles better than the O's.

You can get to CAP very easily from anywhere( including Rhoose) so c'mon Terry and join our happy exiled band at CAP.

BTW I mean it about their site, it is good.

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:09 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Wanna join a Region.. a true story..
gwynt wrote:
I decided that if I'm going to debate Regional rugby I should join one. Decided the honourable choice, given my current vantage point, should be the one encompassing place of birth... Applied to Ospreys, found their internet site and started from there....

- thought I'd buy some kit for the grandsons and get them involved too..... no online facility... must buy direct from Neath or Swansea shop. Abandoned!

-Chose £25 membership for 'remote' members. Looked up site and had to print out application form - no direct online facility.

-ploughed on... decided to pay by credit card.... £2.50 charge....!

-Got the scent now so continued..... couldn't collect membership from Neath or Swansea shop, no online facility, must use snail mail .... £5 extra charge for receiving membership particulars by post ...!

Abandoned campaign..... might look up others to see if life might be easier and/or less expensive elsewhere....

Terry all the clubs/regions are still on a learning curve, patience my friend :D

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:15 am
International Player

Nah, i'm sorry but it isn't rocket science to set up an online shop. The Blues have one but IMO its not so hot.
The Dragons and the Scarlets are re-building their sites so we will have to wait and see what they come up with but so far all clubs get a 5/10 for effort.

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Schools District Player

Dragons old site was not that good but they are rebuilding I think?

Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:48 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Ref Fids note above ... I found Blues site... no probs.... went online to get Blues Card... no prob....thought I'd try merchandise on line... no problem..... went to look at merchandise available.....Canterbury NZ kit only !!??..............Abandoned !

PS... Back at the Ospreys site ... I looked at 'Contact Us' list.. apparently there is an 'IT Manager' and 2 'Website Management'... I wonder what they do all day...? :roll: :twisted: :wink:

Update :I made a mistake - confusing item 'canterbury ' kit refers to the makers ... there are in fact Blues products available ... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:23 pm
Site Admin

terry, the current Ospreys site is in fact a fan site. The fan site was better than their 'professional' site, so they co-opted the fan site as the official site.

I agree though, these people have not a single clue about internet marketing. They know bugger all, instead they try to employ agencies etc who know even less. Example of agency brains. I was producing a free handbook for the disabled, I got a bank to sponsor some of the cost, The banjk used an agency to supply the ad.

The ad was delivered with black text on a grey bachground (almost impossible to read by the partially sighted) keeping in mind that this is a handbook for the disabled :cry: The text they used was 6 & 8 point. A standard rule is that you NEVER use less than 10 point for anything to be read by the over 50's. This is a diabled handbook, the bulk of disabled people are elderly. FFS when will people realise that these 'experst' know bugger all!

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

The clubs sites are generally very poor and as for the WRU's site, it looks awful to my eye. I do like the Dragons site for it's colour scheme so it will be interesting to see how it's changed in the next couple of weeks (i've got a personal interest because we quoted for the work).

The Blues site is quite attractive but i've noticed a lack of content in some areas and - sin of sins - broken links!!

The best rugby club site i've seen is Sale Sharks site. Its easy to navigate and has a good shop. I also like the London Irish site although it has gone a little scrappy of late.

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

The best rugby club site i've seen is Sale Sharks site. Its easy to navigate and has a good shop. I also like the London Irish site although it has gone a little scrappy of late.

WT, following on from my saga I had a quick peek at other UK sites - the Zurich clubs have generally excellent sites !, the irish next to nothing and the Scots sites are as bad as ours... there's a msg in there somewhere and it isn't only money !!?.... it's called management/marketing capability and an old fashioned word ...nous !

Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:05 am
International Player

Walestogether wrote:

WT, following on from my saga I had a quick peek at other UK sites - the Zurich clubs have generally excellent sites !, the irish next to nothing and the Scots sites are as bad as ours... there's a msg in there somewhere and it isn't only money !!?.... it's called management/marketing capability and an old fashioned word ...nous !

The Irish have the right idea about their websites. They've all adopted the same design (which will have saved them a lot of cash) as have the IRFU. They're simple, clean and fairly easy to navigate. Its a bit much to expect our regional sides to club together and use the same web developer but perhaps it will be the way forward in the future??

Ok, perhaps not!

Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:04 am
Profile WWW
REF

old fashioned word ...nous !

I thought you'd hear that "old fashioned" word a lot in your locale Terry :wink:

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:44 am
International Player

They are relaunching the Osprey's web site this week, so things hopefully will change.

Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:45 pm
World XV Player

The Blues site is good IMO

And their backs are miles better than the O's.

You can get to CAP very easily from anywhere( including Rhoose) so c'mon Terry and join our happy exiled band at CAP.

BTW I mean it about their site, it is good.

Admirable sentiment Fids, i am finding it harder to support our region after the years of random abuse i have thrown at my Kairdiff supporting mates because i know it'll come back (deservedly) with interest.

<Flection looks at the menu and decides on the BIGGEST slice of humble pie..... >

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:42 am