It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 am

Not a good start to seasonal welsh/french relations. 
World XV Player

Post Not a good start to seasonal welsh/french relations.
Follow up comments / reports to Ospreys/Toulouse match suggests that the 'friendly' has caused some significant 'bad blood'. Ref my other comments undr Tlse 28/Ospeys 14 thread the unfavourable comments have continued today.

It has to be said that Toulouse are well capable of looking after themselves and are not, in my opinion, whingers...?

Therefore, there may be substance to the comments :

-Ospreys dirty play.

-Ospreys poor , illegal technique (2 players injured, incl Michalak for at least a month).

-Officials shenanagins... refusal to name a team, request to ref to go easy on scrums as they(Ospreys) were experimenting with new front row, only to find that reverse was true....

It doesn't really matter whether the comments are justified or not - events like this 'stick' and remember that ospreys play Castres in the HC and that's just down the road from Toulouse....

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:24 am
International Player

Post Re: Not a good start to seasonal welsh/french relations.
gwynt wrote:
Follow up comments / reports to Ospreys/Toulouse match suggests that the 'friendly' has caused some significant 'bad blood'. Ref my other comments undr Tlse 28/Ospeys 14 thread the unfavourable comments have continued today.

It has to be said that Toulouse are well capable of looking after themselves and are not, in my opinion, whingers...?

Therefore, there may be substance to the comments :

-Ospreys dirty play.

-Ospreys poor , illegal technique (2 players injured, incl Michalak for at least a month).

-Officials shenanagins... refusal to name a team, request to ref to go easy on scrums as they(Ospreys) were experimenting with new front row, only to find that reverse was true....

It doesn't really matter whether the comments are justified or not - events like this 'stick' and remember that ospreys play Castres in the HC and that's just down the road from Toulouse....

Yes Terry, but it works both ways!

Sounds like (between the lines) you are warning The O's re their future game with Castres. Personally I feel its about time we starting getting a 'hard edge' to our game against the European sides (and yes I appreciate there is addifference between hard and dirty).

Re. no team announcement. Well it is a pre season friendly anyway, and I'm not sure that The O's team selection would have altered Toulouse's selection anyway - especially as both dises were aware of the multi replacement agreement!

Not so sure about truth in the statement re front row policy, as The O's had a starting ront row of 2 full plus an 'A' international in Paul James, Barrie Williams and Andrew Millward!

(and remember Toulouse will have to play 1 of the Welsh regions - not sure which, but it doesn't really matter as they're all "just down the road" - sorry rugby supporters 'yn y Gogledd' - )

Bit dubvious to be honest Terry!

Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:24 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

huw.davies70 wrote:
[Yes Terry, but it works both ways!

Sounds like (between the lines) you are warning The O's re their future game with Castres. Personally I feel its about time we starting getting a 'hard edge' to our game against the European sides (and yes I appreciate there is addifference between hard and dirty).

Re. no team announcement. Well it is a pre season friendly anyway, and I'm not sure that The O's team selection would have altered Toulouse's selection anyway - especially as both dises were aware of the multi replacement agreement!

Not so sure about truth in the statement re front row policy, as The O's had a starting ront row of 2 full plus an 'A' international in Paul James, Barrie Williams and Andrew Millward!

(and remember Toulouse will have to play 1 of the Welsh regions - not sure which, but it doesn't really matter as they're all "just down the road" - sorry rugby supporters 'yn y Gogledd' - )

Bit dubvious to be honest Terry!

Huw, I think you misread my sentiments.

I posted the text in order to communicate what the french press was saying ....I'm not warning anybody but be aware welsh teams, rightly or wrongly, do not have good reputation in France. Most recently it was the Warriors in Biarritz where at leat 4 were charged with affray like offences (GT included)... not sure this case is yet closed.

also...

the press couldn't even report the match in detail because the identity of the players was not communicated - not just in advance...

Toulouse are well capable of looking after themselves.

As for Castres I think that Ospreys can beat them if they inhibit the macho antics....

Pls accept my comments in the spirits with which they were intended....

I have experience of both sides, with all due respects yours is limited to one...

à bientôt ....

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:00 am
International Player

gwynt wrote:
Huw, I think you misread my sentiments.

I posted the text in order to communicate what the french press was saying ....I'm not warning anybody but be aware welsh teams, rightly or wrongly, do not have good reputation in France. Most recently it was the Warriors in Biarritz where at leat 4 were charged with affray like offences (GT included)... not sure this case is yet closed.

also...

the press couldn't even report the match in detail because the identity of the players was not communicated - not just in advance...

Toulouse are well capable of looking after themselves.

As for Castres I think that Ospreys can beat them if they inhibit the macho antics....

Pls accept my comments in the spirits with which they were intended....

I have experience of both sides, with all due respects yours is limited to one...

à bientôt ....

Yes totally understand your comments Terry. My comments were aimed at the French press, not at you personally (sorry if it came across that way), and appreciate that you are only acting as the translator. Wasn't aware of the issue involving The Warriors' players (throw back to Ponty / Brive days)? Not so sure that The French press can class any onfield shennanigans (sp??) of The O's with those off field 'accusations' of The W's, and I'm sure (and hope) that The O's players conducted themselves professionally at all times

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:12 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

It's just a bit of pre-season jockeying from what I see.

Once the seasons start properly the journo's can get down to some serious writing.

I do find it funny that they call any team dirty after some of the french matches I have seen. It's played tough here with some pretty nasty play on some days.

They'd have complained that Welsh teams were soft if there wasn't a little bit of friction.

Teams sheets? Probably some misunderstanding of the language translation of who they were supposed to give it to,I'm sure ..... 8)

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:25 am
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
World XV Player

I do find it funny that they call any team dirty after some of the french matches I have seen. It's played tough here with some pretty nasty play on some days.

8)

Mab,
Having watched and participated in french rugby over 15 years I believe french rugby behaviour has changed dramatically for the better over the last 10 years! Previously it was diabolical and dangerous. I think that the emphasis on cleaning up the national team behaviour and general discipline (especially under Laporte) has helped and, more importantly, the use of euro refs and their greater insistence on discipline . Also, the french refs too often in the past turned a blind eye to any misdemeanours committed by the 'stars'.... now its fair game for all!

Regards

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:58 am
World XV Player

Mab,
Having watched and participated in french rugby over 15 years I believe french rugby behaviour has changed dramatically for the better over the last 10 years! Previously it was diabolical and dangerous. I think that the emphasis on cleaning up the national team behaviour and general discipline (especially under Laporte) has helped and, more importantly, the use of euro refs and their greater insistence on discipline . Also, the french refs too often in the past turned a blind eye to any misdemeanours committed by the 'stars'.... now its fair game for all!

Regards

Agreed Terry on most points but it hasn't gone away, much like our attitude to drinking it still raises its head. Especially at the level I watch at our local ground. The last but one Perpignan match (I think?) at the end of the season was a bit of a brawl with 2-3 red cards and half a dozen yellows being handed out.. Good to see the refs using the cards though it didn't stop the aggro...

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:15 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
REF

It's just a bit of pre-season jockeying from what I see.

Once the seasons start properly the journo's can get down to some serious writing.

They'd have complained that Welsh teams were soft if there wasn't a little bit of friction.

Teams sheets? Probably some misunderstanding of the language translation of who they were supposed to give it to,I'm sure ..... 8)

I'm sure it's jsut some stiring by the press who haven't much to write and there were some important players injured... it's probably the same thing the Western Mail would have done if the game had been here...

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:38 am