It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:44 am

Martyn Madden back playing rugby... 
REF

Post Martyn Madden back playing rugby...
...in Caerphilly colours for a second time after playing a loan spell for them, from the Scarlets, when returning from injury two seasons ago.

The Caerphilly RFC website states:

Quote:
The start of the Welsh Premier League is just three weeks away, and Caerphilly can boast their house is in good order.
New signings on a weekly basis are boosting the squad with only a few positions required to fill.
Former Welsh International centre, Mark Ring returns to the helm at Virginia Park as Head Coach from his stint with St. Peters in Cardiff, and is working alongside Assistant Coach, Paul Yardley.
The pairing last coached together at Caerphilly during 2002-03 where their season reached a pinnacle with Caerphilly entertaining French giants, Castres Olympique at the Madejski Stadium, Reading in the final of the Parker Pen European Shield.
"Training is going tremendously well and there is a very good team spirit in the camp." Exulted Paul Yardley. "We are in a much better position now than we were this time last season." Karl Yardley, brother of Paul, has been retained as fitness coach at Caerphilly for a second term. He is putting in the extra hours at Virginia Park, preparing the squad physically and mentally for the gruelling season ahead. "Karl has a fitness regime of three session a week at Virginia Park" Stated elder brother, Paul. He added, "He is a very good friend of Rob Howley (Former Wales and British Lions scrum-half) and has adopted the pre-season training techniques and ethical preparation of Howley's side, London Wasps."

To make up the four musketeers, former Wales International, Richie Collins has been brought on board to assist the coaching set-up. A W.R.U. level 4 coach with 28 Welsh caps, brings with him a wealth of experience and will work alongside Ring and the Yardley brothers in an advisory capacity. Ring has brought with him two very keen props from St. Peters in the shape of Gareth McCarthy and James Huntley. A third prop, Martyn Madden who earned 5 International caps for Wales, arrives with the prospect of having his career rekindled by old friend, Mark Ring. Caerphilly have swooped upon Bath and Bristol to sign openside flanker, Andrew Edwards and lock, Scott Whitcomb respectively. The above players are just a few who have joined the Virginia Park outfit to bolster last seasons' squad. Caerphilly have lined up 3 pre-season friendlies with the first against Maesteg at the Old Parish Ground on the 14th August. It's back to Virginia Park for a home game against Bridgend Athletic on the 21st August. And the 3rd and final friendly before the season starts is against Bracknell at Lilly Hill Park on the 28th August. Caerphilly's first league game is away to Bridgend at the Brewery Field on 4th September. A supporter's bus will be available for this fixture.

Mark Ring & Martyn Madden, eh? Things cold be a lot worse, although I hope Martyn manages to regain some of his ability - at least Mark Ring is talented in getting the best out of his players. And Mark Workman & Andrew Williams are quality players... I can't wait 'til the start of the new season.

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:45 pm
REF

By the way I should add (for copyright reasons) the Caerphilly website is http://www.caerphillyrfc.com/ if you want a look.

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:46 pm
International Player

Mark Ring and Martyn Madden eh? Now there's 2 players who could have done more with their talent!!

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:30 pm
Profile YIM
REF

Mark Ring and Martyn Madden eh? Now there's 2 players who could have done more with their talent!!

That's true, though Ringo thinks one of his biggest strengths is getting the best out of players who've been told they aren't good enough by other coaches. Hopefully he can achieve something with Martyn but I'm afraid he's got his work cut out...

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:13 pm
Regional Player

huw.davies70 wrote:

That's true, though Ringo thinks one of his biggest strengths is getting the best out of players who've been told they aren't good enough by other coaches. Hopefully he can achieve something with Martyn but I'm afraid he's got his work cut out...

Too late now, He must over 30 by now

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:15 pm
Profile E-mail
REF

Can't a prop play past 30? I thought there was a prop who had quite a few international caps...

... I know it'll be hard to regain a fitness he never seemed to have truely mastered, but aparently their using Wasp's fitness techniques (passed on second hand via Rob H. - and I'm sure props & scrum halves fitness regimes are slightly different, despite not being a personal trainer) and it's Martyn's last chance to make a big impression. It also seems that Ringo's brought a couple of other props with him, so it could be that Caer have a decent platform going into the new season.

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:27 pm
International Player

Can't a prop play past 30? I thought there was a prop who had quite a few international caps...

... I know it'll be hard to regain a fitness he never seemed to have truely mastered, but aparently their using Wasp's fitness techniques (passed on second hand via Rob H. - and I'm sure props & scrum halves fitness regimes are slightly different, despite not being a personal trainer) and it's Martyn's last chance to make a big impression. It also seems that Ringo's brought a couple of other props with him, so it could be that Caer have a decent platform going into the new season.

Isn't Wasps fitness coach Paul Pook, who I remember played for Ebbw Vale. I'm sure he wouldn't mind advising Madden First hand as a fellow Welshman?

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:58 pm
Profile YIM
Regional Player

Sorry Jason, what I meant to say was its too late for him to for fill his potential for his country. Not to say he cant do the bizz for caer

Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:32 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Jason Clee wrote:

Sorry Jason, what I meant to say was its too late for him to for fill his potential for his country. Not to say he cant do the bizz for caer

Craig, not sure if I'm correct, but didn't Charlie Faulkner get his first cap past the age of 30?

Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:28 pm
Profile YIM
Regional Player

Im not sure about charlie, but in this era of professionalism and the amount of quality loose heads in wales I cant see room for a revitalised Madden in the welsh regional set up. He was one of my fav Llanelli players when he was going on those rampaging runs against leicester and other teams. I was very disapointed to see him fall from grace

Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Im not sure about charlie, but in this era of professionalism and the amount of quality loose heads in wales I cant see room for a revitalised Madden in the welsh regional set up. He was one of my fav Llanelli players when he was going on those rampaging runs against leicester and other teams. I was very disapointed to see him fall from grace

Agree with you as far as his future as a top class loose head is concerned. We have ample of these already in Wales, but we are short of tight heads! Not sure if Madden can 'turn himself' into a tight head. I am not knowledgeable enough in the area to offer an opinion! Anyone?

Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:23 pm
Profile YIM
Regional Player

I have been told it?s not a simple thing to do these days due to the technical aspects of scrumaging. A prop who can play top class rugby well at 1 and 3 is a talented rugby player

Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:45 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

I have been told it?s not a simple thing to do these days due to the technical aspects of scrumaging. A prop who can play top class rugby well at 1 and 3 is a talented rugby player

you said that twice now, are you a parrot or what?

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:55 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

Martin madden, Oh yes, he that people thought would make the grade playing for Wales :roll: :wav:

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:01 am
World XV Player

Martin madden, Oh yes, he that people thought would make the grade playing for Wales :roll: :wav:

...indeed he that might have.....there goes another where others have set a similar example ... stand up darren...

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:04 am