It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Zurich better than Celtic? 
International Player

Post Zurich better than Celtic?
So exactly how does Charvis know this? He hasn't actually played in either competition yet (well, not the new improved version of the Celtic League).
Not a wise statement to make in my opinion but then what else do you expect from Underhill... sorry, i mean Charvis?

Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:28 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Even as a spectator it is easy to see the ZP is better than the CL. Mainly due to the fact that all teams put 100% into, either avoiding relagation or going for Europe. The CL does not have relagation and the Irish do not need it for Europe.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:39 am
Profile E-mail
REF

Did Rob Howley say anything on this subject?

Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:20 am
International Player

Post Re: Zurich better than Celtic?
Walestogether wrote:
So exactly how does Charvis know this? He hasn't actually played in either competition yet (well, not the new improved version of the Celtic League).
Not a wise statement to make in my opinion but then what else do you expect from Underhill... sorry, i mean Charvis?

To be fair, at the moment I'd say he is right. I feel it is up to the Irish to sort themselves out in relation to the CL and then potentially we have a better league than the ZP. Another bonus is that the amount of Lions qualified players will be far greater in the CL, this keeping finances within British rugby!

Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:35 am
Profile YIM
REF

Not all the games in the Zp are that great, remember there is different intensity levels in both the ZP & the CL. I reckon the ZP has the edge, but not by very much.

CC & JW were just spouting the usual BS to keep the press & sponsors happy, and as it's an off season it all got printed even though they didn't say anything that interesting.

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:39 am
Schools District Player

Having witnessed London Irish a couple of times over the last few years (and their oppo being Harlequins, Bath and Bristol) and though they were doing a bit of a great one season and shyte the next, I wouldn't say the arse end of the ZP is all that good at all to be honest...

Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:57 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

I would say the CL is eons behind, when one of the tema in with a decent shout for the HC gets *fupping* whooped by a piss poor excuse for a rugbyt eam at times last season (yes Iam talking about the Blues and Munster was it, I cant remember Iam still fuming) thers no competition in which league is better.

The arse end of teh CL is poor, the Scottish teams are shocking, the Irish couldnt give a shit, so basically its gonna be a Welsh winner this season fo the CL, anything else would be a disaster.

And I dont think its up to the Irish to sort themselves out, they have a system that suits them, were the ones that need them not the other way around it would seem.

As it stands the Celtic League is doomed, little competition and no sponsor, and were having a discussion about which league is better, come on people seriously.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

By the way this does not mean I endorse or agree with anything that comes out of Charvis' mouth or am softening towards him in any way shape or form, hes still a twat and I dont believe he had any other reason for saying this other than to have a go at Welsh rugby, it just so happens that he may ultimately be right.

Just thought Id let everybody know that in case you all thought I was now one of these new fangled Charvis liker type people.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
International Player

And I dont think its up to the Irish to sort themselves out, they have a system that suits them, were the ones that need them not the other way around it would seem.
quote]

Not so sure I agree with you here CJ, at the moment due to our poor domestic and national performances over the past 5 or so years, the Irish do not seem too interested in valueing Welsh opposition. However, I guarantee this will change when the regions are in full flow. Believe me the Irish will come begging with bowl in hand!

Also...

..."By the way this does not mean I endorse or agree with anything that comes out of Charvis' mouth or am softening towards him in any way shape or form, hes still a *preggars fish*..."

Re your statement about Charvis (above), I would recommend rewatching last years 6N and summer tour while ignoring any off field activity involving CC. I will state here IMO (obviously), that CC was way above any other back row forward representing Wales in all these games!!!

Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:02 pm
Profile YIM
International Player

As it stands the Celtic League is doomed, little competition and no sponsor, and were having a discussion about which league is better, come on people seriously.

The thread was about how Charvis can say which is better, having not played in either, but that's besides the point. How you can say there's no competition in the Celtic league, I don't know!

Last year we saw some fantastic games between highly competitive teams. Ok, granted the scots where useless (even though Edinburgh did get through to the qrtrs of the HC) but the games between the Irish and Welsh and the local derby games were, for the most part, highly entertaining.

And this year it's going to get much better. All our sides are stronger, the Irish will be as usual and Edinburgh have seriously beefed up their squad this summer.

It won't take long before there is a sponsor either, especially if the IRish sort themselves out as far as european qualification is concerned.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Regional Player

Edinburgh have seriously beefed up their squad this summer

Do you know who Edinburgh have signed?

Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
quote]

Not so sure I agree with you here CJ, at the moment due to our poor domestic and national performances over the past 5 or so years, the Irish do not seem too interested in valueing Welsh opposition. However, I guarantee this will change when the regions are in full flow. Believe me the Irish will come begging with bowl in hand!

Also...

..."By the way this does not mean I endorse or agree with anything that comes out of Charvis' mouth or am softening towards him in any way shape or form, hes still a *preggars fish*..."

Re your statement about Charvis (above), I would recommend rewatching last years 6N and summer tour while ignoring any off field activity involving CC. I will state here IMO (obviously), that CC was way above any other back row forward representing Wales in all these games!!!

NHow do your gaurantee this when the regions are in full flow, and the Irish still dotn want to risk their best players outside of 6N or HC, how does it make a difference. We need the Irish not the other way around, and it shows.

I didnt mention anything about Charvis' playing abilities, I called him a twat. If you can be arsed you could go back through the messages on ScrumV and see that I did actually praise his performances during the 6N, doesnt mean I like him or think hes anything more than a waster.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:

The thread was about how Charvis can say which is better, having not played in either, but that's besides the point. How you can say there's no competition in the Celtic league, I don't know!

Last year we saw some fantastic games between highly competitive teams. Ok, granted the scots where useless (even though Edinburgh did get through to the qrtrs of the HC) but the games between the Irish and Welsh and the local derby games were, for the most part, highly entertaining.

And this year it's going to get much better. All our sides are stronger, the Irish will be as usual and Edinburgh have seriously beefed up their squad this summer.

It won't take long before there is a sponsor either, especially if the IRish sort themselves out as far as european qualification is concerned.

If this thread was about what Charvis said why wasnt it called "how the hell does Chravis know" not "Zurich better than Celtic", but then that is beside the point, good god everybody who has written on this thread about which league is better yiou have been talking about the wrong subject, but then I digress, thats beside teh point.......

Ho can I say theres no competition in the Celtic league, umm, the Irish not being arsed with it, thats 4 teams who arent competitive, thats over a third of the competition, and the Scots being shit, Welsh teams taking up 5 of the top 6 places, despite being rather average. Thats how I can say its not competetive. Its not difficult ask anybody without a brain why it doesnt have a sponsor and they will tell you cos its a bloody joke as far as competitions go.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Frankly I don't give a toss what Charvis said, I want the Welsh regions to play against opposition that will improve the Welsh rugby cause, with/without the irish or anybody else for that matter. The Irish are looking after their own interests and so should we !?

Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:21 pm
International Player

Ho can I say theres no competition in the Celtic league, umm, the Irish not being arsed with it, thats 4 teams who arent competitive, thats over a third of the competition, and the Scots being shit, Welsh teams taking up 5 of the top 6 places, despite being rather average. Thats how I can say its not competetive. Its not difficult ask anybody without a brain why it doesnt have a sponsor and they will tell you cos its a bloody joke as far as competitions go.

Granted, the Irish had big problems last season as two of their sides contain most of their International players, so the final positions of the teams in the league were more a reflection of how many international players were missing due to world cup and 6 nations committments so you can't really draw a conclusion on how competitive the games were from that.

That won't be so much of a problem this season because there's no world cup and they're stopping the Celtic League during the 6 Nations so this season will be a whole new ball game.

Don't be so negative CJ, whats wrong with having a debate over which league is better (even if that wasn't my initial intention)?

Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Profile WWW