It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Irish pull Celtic league stars 
World XV Player

Post Irish pull Celtic league stars
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0500rugb ... _page.html

Is it time to seriously look at trying to join the ZP. Maybe having 2 pools of 8 teams. With playoffs to decide the champion and HC qualifications on where you finish.

I could see the big teams in the ZP going for it .

Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:06 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It's the old 10 week conditioning programme that Andrew Hore is trying to get us to adopt. If we were to adopt it, and I believe we should to keep parity with everyone else, then we can hardly complain about them pulling their players when we would have to do the same.

Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:28 am
International Player

Post Re: Irish pull Celtic league stars
porthgain wrote:
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0500rugbyunion/0200news/tm_objectid=14514721%26method=full%26siteid=50082%26headline=plug-pulled-on-celtic-league-stars-name_page.html

Is it time to seriously look at trying to join the ZP. Maybe having 2 pools of 8 teams. With playoffs to decide the champion and HC qualifications on where you finish.

I could see the big teams in the ZP going for it .

This is one of those rare occassions when even I agree with Stuart Gallacher!

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:11 am
Profile YIM

Do .......

(a) We want one of our regions to win the Celtic cup.

(b) We want one of our regions to win the Heine Cup

(c) We want Wales to be in with a chance of winning the 6 Nations

If its (c) then we need to follow the Irish

:alien: :lol: :alien:

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:18 am
International Player

Does this also include Simon Easterby? Anyone know?

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:30 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

Does this also include Simon Easterby? Anyone know?

If he's centrally contracted then yes.

Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:38 am
World XV Player

Does it boil down to

Do .......

(a) We want one of our regions to win the Celtic cup.

(b) We want one of our regions to win the Heine Cup

(c) We want Wales to be in with a chance of winning the 6 Nations

If its (c) then we need to follow the Irish

:alien: :lol: :alien:

I agree with you Wupert, for Wales to achieve their goals there has to be a self centred but across the board approach ! Gallachers comments reflect his local self interest and personifies his parochial selfish attitude when he bullied the set up of the Regions in the first instance. he and similar need to be 'castrated'(refs pls note I mean this metaphorically !) ,ie made impotent, if Wales are going to achieve....

Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:56 pm
World XV Player

The IRFU are right, international players are playing far too many games. Joining the Zurich Premiership would be a mistake. They should change the format of the Celtic League to a Super 12 style competition where teams play each other only once then qualify to a semi and final, then fill up the fixtures list by having an inter regional Welsh competition. 10 Celtic League games guaranteed, 6 Heineken Cup games guaranteed, 6 inter regional Welsh games guaranteed, plus a couple of Celtic Cup games, making around 22 guaranteed games rising to around 30 if a team gets to finals.

Maybe switching to that format for the Celtic League is a bit risky at the moment, as more games mean more bums on seats. As the present league gains momentum I am sure that attendances will rise. Once that happens they should then look to change the format.

Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Personally I'd rather see the regions join the ZP, I thinkit would make for better and more interesting games - and much easier to travel to!

However if we stick to the CL, we could
(a) Make an agreement with the Irish and Scots regions that all of them get a 10 week training/conditioning break. That way all the regions would be equally affected, and we can see what the up and coming players are like.
(b) Make the HC qualification purely dependant on the CL - that would stop Ireland fiddling it so it doesnt matter where 3 of their regions finish.

I still can't see why they need such a long break from playing for conditioning, though. Surely as full time paid professional athletes, they are conditioning all the time anyway??

Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:11 pm
International Player

I agree with you Wupert, for Wales to achieve their goals there has to be a self centred but across the board approach ! Gallachers comments reflect his local self interest and personifies his parochial selfish attitude when he bullied the set up of the Regions in the first instance. he and similar need to be 'castrated'(refs pls note I mean this metaphorically !) ,ie made impotent, if Wales are going to achieve....

Terry, yes I agree with you re the preparation of the players for international rugby, but, and it is a big BUT, we all have to remember who pays the wages on a day to day basis. I'm sure were the Welsh players centrally contracted, the WRU would still try not to disrupt the CL too much as they are in need of sponsors as much as anything else. I am a firm believer in feeding the grass roots and the shop window will improve as a result. I'm not so sure about dressing the front window and letting the grass roots look after themselves!

Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:45 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Terry, yes I agree with you re the preparation of the players for international rugby, but, and it is a big BUT, we all have to remember who pays the wages on a day to day basis. I'm sure were the Welsh players centrally contracted, the WRU would still try not to disrupt the CL too much as they are in need of sponsors as much as anything else. I am a firm believer in feeding the grass roots and the shop window will improve as a result. I'm not so sure about dressing the front window and letting the grass roots look after themselves!

Ultimately Huw, the WRU pay the wages for the players through the funding of the regions to the tune of around £1.7m a season. Yes benefactors contribute to the wages but I really feel that if Wales are to succeed as a nation, we need Andrew Hoare to be allowed to do the same as the Irish are doing with their conditioning.

The Welsh regions could give their Welsh squad players some extended time off or to do fitness work until the Irish teams are at full strength.

Oh, and pigs might fly!!!!!

Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
International Player

huw.davies70 wrote:

Ultimately Huw, the WRU pay the wages for the players through the funding of the regions to the tune of around £1.7m a season. Yes benefactors contribute to the wages but I really feel that if Wales are to succeed as a nation, we need Andrew Hoare to be allowed to do the same as the Irish are doing with their conditioning.

The Welsh regions could give their Welsh squad players some extended time off or to do fitness work until the Irish teams are at full strength.

Oh, and pigs might fly!!!!!

In this case Andrew, couldn't the Welsh, Irish and Scottish unions come to some sort of arrangement that would incorporate these needs into the CL? This would allow the league to become a quality competition and also allow for the conditioning timescale.

Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:12 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

[In this case Andrew, couldn't the Welsh, Irish and Scottish unions come to some sort of arrangement that would incorporate these needs into the CL? This would allow the league to become a quality competition and also allow for the conditioning timescale.

.... too much like common sense Huw ! :wink:

Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:41 am
REF

FFS it's hard enough for the English clubs to join the ZP, what makes everyone think they're going to recieve us with open arms?

Can you see the reaction on the faces of the lowest 4 English clubs who would have to be relegated? The ZP is a money driven closed shop that has been arsed up by the RFU in the same way the Welsh Premiership was messed around with by the WRU.

Joining the ZP is a pipe dream that's not going to happen. I hope the Irish fully embrace the CL though, because we're basically screwed without it. I wouldn't want to end up with a Welsh/Scottish league again, or playing friendlies with the English clubs (like Cardiff & Swansea did a while ago).

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:09 am
World XV Player

Should Murdoch's accountants believe that a new league with Welsh and English teams in it would make more money for them, it would happen pretty quickly.

If we assume that they do not see it that way, we are probably stuffed. The Irish clearly don't think the CL as meaningful, so we have to look at different ways of giving our top professional players regular (but not too many times a season) full-on matches.

Being a bit slow of thought, I cannot see an answer. We certainly need competition with teams from outside Wales, but if England and Ireland have different agenda and the Welsh-Scottish league is a no-no, what is left?

Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:57 am
Profile E-mail WWW