It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:10 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Irish pull Celtic league stars 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:45 pm
Posts: 9089
Location: Plymouth/Gabon
Post Irish pull Celtic league stars
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0500rugb ... _page.html

Is it time to seriously look at trying to join the ZP. Maybe having 2 pools of 8 teams. With playoffs to decide the champion and HC qualifications on where you finish.

I could see the big teams in the ZP going for it .

_________________
Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I am WELSH
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>


Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:06 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30804
Location: Somewhere nice
Post 
It's the old 10 week conditioning programme that Andrew Hore is trying to get us to adopt. If we were to adopt it, and I believe we should to keep parity with everyone else, then we can hardly complain about them pulling their players when we would have to do the same.


Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:28 am
Profile
International Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:58 pm
Posts: 1423
Location: Swansea
Post Re: Irish pull Celtic league stars
porthgain wrote:
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0500rugbyunion/0200news/tm_objectid=14514721%26method=full%26siteid=50082%26headline=plug-pulled-on-celtic-league-stars-name_page.html

Is it time to seriously look at trying to join the ZP. Maybe having 2 pools of 8 teams. With playoffs to decide the champion and HC qualifications on where you finish.

I could see the big teams in the ZP going for it .


This is one of those rare occassions when even I agree with Stuart Gallacher!

_________________
C'mon The Whites!! Oh and blacks! Oh, s** it! Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, Ospreys, Ospreys...


Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:11 am
Profile YIM
Post 
Does it boil down to

Do .......

(a) We want one of our regions to win the Celtic cup.

(b) We want one of our regions to win the Heine Cup

(c) We want Wales to be in with a chance of winning the 6 Nations

If its (c) then we need to follow the Irish

:alien: :lol: :alien:


Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:18 am
International Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:58 pm
Posts: 1423
Location: Swansea
Post 
Does this also include Simon Easterby? Anyone know?

_________________
C'mon The Whites!! Oh and blacks! Oh, s** it! Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, Ospreys, Ospreys...


Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:30 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30804
Location: Somewhere nice
Post 
huw.davies70 wrote:
Does this also include Simon Easterby? Anyone know?


If he's centrally contracted then yes.


Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:38 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 3:01 pm
Posts: 4408
Post 
Wupert wrote:
Does it boil down to

Do .......

(a) We want one of our regions to win the Celtic cup.

(b) We want one of our regions to win the Heine Cup

(c) We want Wales to be in with a chance of winning the 6 Nations

If its (c) then we need to follow the Irish

:alien: :lol: :alien:


I agree with you Wupert, for Wales to achieve their goals there has to be a self centred but across the board approach ! Gallachers comments reflect his local self interest and personifies his parochial selfish attitude when he bullied the set up of the Regions in the first instance. he and similar need to be 'castrated'(refs pls note I mean this metaphorically !) ,ie made impotent, if Wales are going to achieve....


Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:56 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 2:27 pm
Posts: 7358
Location: The Diff
Post 
The IRFU are right, international players are playing far too many games. Joining the Zurich Premiership would be a mistake. They should change the format of the Celtic League to a Super 12 style competition where teams play each other only once then qualify to a semi and final, then fill up the fixtures list by having an inter regional Welsh competition. 10 Celtic League games guaranteed, 6 Heineken Cup games guaranteed, 6 inter regional Welsh games guaranteed, plus a couple of Celtic Cup games, making around 22 guaranteed games rising to around 30 if a team gets to finals.

Maybe switching to that format for the Celtic League is a bit risky at the moment, as more games mean more bums on seats. As the present league gains momentum I am sure that attendances will rise. Once that happens they should then look to change the format.

_________________
'The bad news is we have lost our way, the good news is we are way ahead of schedule!!!!!'


Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:20 am
Posts: 4652
Location: Oxfordshire
Post 
Personally I'd rather see the regions join the ZP, I thinkit would make for better and more interesting games - and much easier to travel to!

However if we stick to the CL, we could
(a) Make an agreement with the Irish and Scots regions that all of them get a 10 week training/conditioning break. That way all the regions would be equally affected, and we can see what the up and coming players are like.
(b) Make the HC qualification purely dependant on the CL - that would stop Ireland fiddling it so it doesnt matter where 3 of their regions finish.

I still can't see why they need such a long break from playing for conditioning, though. Surely as full time paid professional athletes, they are conditioning all the time anyway??


Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:11 pm
Profile
International Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:58 pm
Posts: 1423
Location: Swansea
Post 
gwynt wrote:
I agree with you Wupert, for Wales to achieve their goals there has to be a self centred but across the board approach ! Gallachers comments reflect his local self interest and personifies his parochial selfish attitude when he bullied the set up of the Regions in the first instance. he and similar need to be 'castrated'(refs pls note I mean this metaphorically !) ,ie made impotent, if Wales are going to achieve....


Terry, yes I agree with you re the preparation of the players for international rugby, but, and it is a big BUT, we all have to remember who pays the wages on a day to day basis. I'm sure were the Welsh players centrally contracted, the WRU would still try not to disrupt the CL too much as they are in need of sponsors as much as anything else. I am a firm believer in feeding the grass roots and the shop window will improve as a result. I'm not so sure about dressing the front window and letting the grass roots look after themselves!

_________________
C'mon The Whites!! Oh and blacks! Oh, s** it! Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, Ospreys, Ospreys...


Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:45 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:09 pm
Posts: 28299
Location: Pontllanfraith
Post 
huw.davies70 wrote:
Terry, yes I agree with you re the preparation of the players for international rugby, but, and it is a big BUT, we all have to remember who pays the wages on a day to day basis. I'm sure were the Welsh players centrally contracted, the WRU would still try not to disrupt the CL too much as they are in need of sponsors as much as anything else. I am a firm believer in feeding the grass roots and the shop window will improve as a result. I'm not so sure about dressing the front window and letting the grass roots look after themselves!


Ultimately Huw, the WRU pay the wages for the players through the funding of the regions to the tune of around £1.7m a season. Yes benefactors contribute to the wages but I really feel that if Wales are to succeed as a nation, we need Andrew Hoare to be allowed to do the same as the Irish are doing with their conditioning.

The Welsh regions could give their Welsh squad players some extended time off or to do fitness work until the Irish teams are at full strength.

Oh, and pigs might fly!!!!!

_________________
Dear England, you can make as many sheep jokes as you want, you voted for a pig *fupper*!


Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
International Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:58 pm
Posts: 1423
Location: Swansea
Post 
Andrew S wrote:
huw.davies70 wrote:
Terry, yes I agree with you re the preparation of the players for international rugby, but, and it is a big BUT, we all have to remember who pays the wages on a day to day basis. I'm sure were the Welsh players centrally contracted, the WRU would still try not to disrupt the CL too much as they are in need of sponsors as much as anything else. I am a firm believer in feeding the grass roots and the shop window will improve as a result. I'm not so sure about dressing the front window and letting the grass roots look after themselves!


Ultimately Huw, the WRU pay the wages for the players through the funding of the regions to the tune of around £1.7m a season. Yes benefactors contribute to the wages but I really feel that if Wales are to succeed as a nation, we need Andrew Hoare to be allowed to do the same as the Irish are doing with their conditioning.

The Welsh regions could give their Welsh squad players some extended time off or to do fitness work until the Irish teams are at full strength.

Oh, and pigs might fly!!!!!


In this case Andrew, couldn't the Welsh, Irish and Scottish unions come to some sort of arrangement that would incorporate these needs into the CL? This would allow the league to become a quality competition and also allow for the conditioning timescale.

_________________
C'mon The Whites!! Oh and blacks! Oh, s** it! Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, Ospreys, Ospreys...


Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:12 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 3:01 pm
Posts: 4408
Post 
huw.davies70 wrote:
[In this case Andrew, couldn't the Welsh, Irish and Scottish unions come to some sort of arrangement that would incorporate these needs into the CL? This would allow the league to become a quality competition and also allow for the conditioning timescale.


.... too much like common sense Huw ! :wink:


Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:41 am
Profile
REF
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:38 am
Posts: 20578
Location: South Wales
Post 
FFS it's hard enough for the English clubs to join the ZP, what makes everyone think they're going to recieve us with open arms?

Can you see the reaction on the faces of the lowest 4 English clubs who would have to be relegated? The ZP is a money driven closed shop that has been arsed up by the RFU in the same way the Welsh Premiership was messed around with by the WRU.

Joining the ZP is a pipe dream that's not going to happen. I hope the Irish fully embrace the CL though, because we're basically screwed without it. I wouldn't want to end up with a Welsh/Scottish league again, or playing friendlies with the English clubs (like Cardiff & Swansea did a while ago).

_________________
Is learning Welsh for free with Say something in Welsh.com

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.


Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:09 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 8:52 am
Posts: 10883
Location: Gogledd Cymru
Post 
Should Murdoch's accountants believe that a new league with Welsh and English teams in it would make more money for them, it would happen pretty quickly.

If we assume that they do not see it that way, we are probably stuffed. The Irish clearly don't think the CL as meaningful, so we have to look at different ways of giving our top professional players regular (but not too many times a season) full-on matches.

Being a bit slow of thought, I cannot see an answer. We certainly need competition with teams from outside Wales, but if England and Ireland have different agenda and the Welsh-Scottish league is a no-no, what is left?

_________________
“Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist.” Kenneth Boulding (1910-1993)


Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:57 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: