It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Osprey Hookers 
REF

Post Osprey Hookers
Looks like even though he's club captain Barry's not going to be ensured a start at every game:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0500rugb ... _page.html

It is interesting in the article that Lyn Jones talks about international call-ups meaning that Huw hasn't grown as a player and that he's unsure of where Huw's strengths & weaknesses lie.

It could be said that being on the bench for Wales has actually harmed Huw's career so far.

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:49 pm
Club Player

I had hoped that maybe Williams being club captain would be similar to the Leigh Davies scenario, ie he wont automatically be 1st choice. Thats not to say i expected it, it seems an odd decision to me, to have a captain who is not an expected regular.

In all honesty with training regimes etc etc you would surely expect Jones to know where his players' strengths and weaknesses are.

IMO Bennett is the ideal candidate for a future hooker and he seems to have the attributes to be a big time player. He probably has to work on his strength, etc, but in a couple of years time the Ospreys front row could be a frightening proposition for any world team. I just wish that Adam Jones was a bit (or a lot) fitter.

PS on that note, what does everyone make of Millward? He just seems like a big lump to me.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:57 pm
Site Admin

Sometimes, just sometimes, Lyn Jones should learn how to use the press to his advantage, he messed up a few times last year and now he comes out wth this drivel.

Let me explain imo how Bennett has benefitted by being with the welsh squad...

It has given him the insight on what it takes to get to the very top, it has exposed him to the top end of the conditioning programme, it has exposed him to higher intensity games (even if it is not for the full duration of the game it is still more than the O's can give him), he has experience of travelling to argentina and SA both forward oriented countries, he has a world cup under hs belt at an early age.....

Yep Lyn, your right, sell the useless *my love* to leicester.....

Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:05 pm
Site Admin

...and i would take bennett on the lions tour as well.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:14 pm
World XV Player

i thought he was outstanding when he came on against Argentina in the last test. ferocious tackler, quick, maybe a bit light at the moment but what a prospect.

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:23 am
World XV Player

Dewi Bach wrote:

i thought he was outstanding when he came on against Argentina in the last test. ferocious tackler, quick, maybe a bit light at the moment but what a prospect.

...also when he came on as flanker against SA ... his tackling was A1...!

Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:01 pm
International Player

Post Re: Osprey Hookers
Jason Clee wrote:

It is interesting in the article that Lyn Jones talks about international call-ups meaning that Huw hasn't grown as a player and that he's unsure of where Huw's strengths & weaknesses lie.

After being his regional coach now for over a year, if Jones doesn't know what Huw is like as a player, then who bl**dy well does? (just because he's not from Neath Lyn!!) Time for a look in the mirror Mr Jones!!

Maybe then he wouldn't come up with such a stupid f**£in' idea of picking a captain who has a better player understudying him!!!! If LJ gave Bennett some playing time, he might realise what the region have got! (same goes for Richie Pugh - another non Neath player)!!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:05 pm
Profile YIM
International Player

and on holiday to Butlins!!! (keep the kids happy)

Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:07 pm
Profile YIM
World XV Player

huw.davies70 wrote:
[
After being his regional coach now for over a year, if Jones doesn't know what Huw is like as a player, then who bl**dy well does? (just because he's not from Neath Lyn!!) Time for a look in the mirror Mr Jones!!

Maybe then he wouldn't come up with such a stupid f**£in' idea of picking a captain who has a better player understudying him!!!! If LJ gave Bennett some playing time, he might realise what the region have got! (same goes for Richie Pugh - another non Neath player)!!!!!!!!!

Huw, with all due respect you have been preaching for the 'Ospreys' and no parochial tribalism.... now you are perpetrating same ...... :roll: :roll:

Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:43 pm
International Player

gwynt wrote:
huw.davies70 wrote:
[

Huw, with all due respect you have been preaching for the 'Ospreys' and no parochial tribalism.... now you are perpetrating same ...... :roll: :roll:

Terry, you are quite right, I am being a slight hypocrit. Ever since The O's were formed, I along with others had an impression of this slight tilt toward Neath based players by the coaching staff. Admittedly the majority of the old Whites squad have moved on, but there ws still this issue. I'm sure Scott Gibbs didn't start last season with the intention of retiring half way through! However, I along with the rest of the flock have chosen to ignore that. But what really annoys me, is when Mr Lyn Jones starts talking absolute cr** about not knowing his players and that the drinking culture had changed. He (if I remember rightly) could down a few pints himself in his time, along with the likes of Phil Pugh, Brian Thomas et al!

Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Who gives the Ospreys their media training?

Anybody see Gavin Henson with his head laid low to the camera last season while in a live interview?? They were in the middle of their losing streak and had lost again live on the box.

He didnt bring the biggest box of confidence over. The same went for LJ, at times, last year as well.

Bennett started the second test against argentina and at the same time they brought Mendez back. Who then promptly belts Bennett, he didnt budge, just regioned the ruck. Thats why I would take him.

I called the big ugly *my love* soft once...... :roll:

Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:56 pm
World XV Player

Lyn Jones' bleating last season during the Ospreys horrendous run was awful, I lost a lot of faith in him during that period.

The Ospreys were ata seriously low ebb at the time, and they came through (just). I think that the on field dissary they were in during that period was worse than any club experienced last season, and yet they came through and I dont think they ever want to be there again, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger, and I hope that applies to the Ospreys, that period and the future.

I think its difficult for players and staff of a different era who now have to adopt the professionalism we require, Lyn Jones wmay have liked a drink but he now has to encourage almost demand that his players do not do the same, do as I say not as I did.

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
REF

Yeah but Huw has played one high intesity game for Wales (and if I remember correctly he was subbed at the end) he has also played 20 mins as a flanker, and his other appearences have been limited to 5 mins at the end when the game was either won or lost... that plus 4 (?) starts at his club isn't exactly the sort of training we need for the next great Welsh hooker. Surely he should be getting some matches? and from the "don't know what he's like" noises coming from the 'spreys I think he would be better off somewhere else...

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:53 am
International Player

Yeah but Huw has played one high intesity game for Wales (and if I remember correctly he was subbed at the end) he has also played 20 mins as a flanker, and his other appearences have been limited to 5 mins at the end when the game was either won or lost... that plus 4 (?) starts at his club isn't exactly the sort of training we need for the next great Welsh hooker. Surely he should be getting some matches? and from the "don't know what he's like" noises coming from the 'spreys I think he would be better off somewhere else...

Totally agree with you Jason. That was why I had a 'go' at LJ for selecting Barry Williams as captain when Bennett is IMO the better player and also the future of The O's (hopefully) and Wales. The same remarks can be said of Richie Pugh, another massively talented player (out of the Niel Back school of No. 7's). Both of these lads have been at The O's for over a year, both would have captained Wales U/21's if available at the last world cup, both called up by MR to tour Argentina and SA, and both out of the Swansea schools and junior sides. But for LJ to turn around and say he doesn't know Bennett after coaching him for over a year is a joke as far as I'm concerned! It would be interesting to see what would have happened had they both been developed by our Neath brothers - both 1st choice players? Probably!

Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:17 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

Jason Clee wrote:

Totally agree with you Jason. That was why I had a 'go' at LJ for selecting Barry Williams as captain when Bennett is IMO the better player and also the future of The O's (hopefully) and Wales. The same remarks can be said of Richie Pugh, another massively talented player (out of the Niel Back school of No. 7's). Both of these lads have been at The O's for over a year, both would have captained Wales U/21's if available at the last world cup, both called up by MR to tour Argentina and SA, and both out of the Swansea schools and junior sides. But for LJ to turn around and say he doesn't know Bennett after coaching him for over a year is a joke as far as I'm concerned! It would be interesting to see what would have happened had they both been developed by our Neath brothers - both 1st choice players? Probably!

Correct me if I'm wrong Huw, but wasn't Bennett also qualified for england !?

Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:18 am