It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Drink culture eradicated from Welsh rugby! 

Has the Drink Culture gone from Welsh rugby?
YES 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
OF course not 46%  46%  [ 13 ]
its slolwy happening 46%  46%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 28

Drink culture eradicated from Welsh rugby! 
World XV Player

The culture is still here and is continuing. Look at how many young players went to the world cup over the mid twenty somethings that had been capped twenty odd times at a young age. Their lifestyle was/is not right, end of story.

Furthermore, if anybody wants to see proof of the drink culture below the top divisions then go and see how much puke has to be cleaned throughout the night at some of the club houses that have hosted youth games on a saturday. It is ok saying that the cream has to be allowed to get to the top but has anybody ever wondered just how much talent is being wasted by letting our clubs be in charge of youth development?

Thats why its good to see the regions out there.

It is changing.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:42 pm
Site Admin

Yes the regions..who still employ drink cultered players.

Anyway enough of that, my main point was that if the regions do not sort out the youth teams of today in regards to looking after their players' bodies then they will continually have to go elsewhere for players or employ sub standard ones.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:20 pm
World XV Player

Give em a chance mun, they've only been going 12 months.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:52 pm
World XV Player

ever wondered just how much talent is being wasted by letting our clubs be in charge of youth development?

Problem is Dewi, rugby can't put all the emphasis at the top level, the whole hierarchy, top to bottom, has to accept responsibility for fitness, behaviour etc ... the upper echelon should set the standards and ensure the organisation and control in order to ensure the process....

That's why the set up of Regional rugby is so important and should percolate the whole structure ?

Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:37 am
International Player

Dewi Bach wrote:
ever wondered just how much talent is being wasted by letting our clubs be in charge of youth development?

Problem is Dewi, rugby can't put all the emphasis at the top level, the whole hierarchy, top to bottom, has to accept responsibility for fitness, behaviour etc ... the upper echelon should set the standards and ensure the organisation and control in order to ensure the process....

That's why the set up of Regional rugby is so important and should percolate the whole structure ?

Problem is folks, without this so called "drink culture", how many of our rugby clubs could afford to exist? Especially lower down the leagues!

Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:14 pm
Profile YIM
World XV Player

[Problem is folks, without this so called "drink culture", how many of our rugby clubs could afford to exist? Especially lower down the leagues!

Huw, in my S Wales childhood there was an expression 'You can't have the penny and the bun" and it holds true today...... either rugby cleans up its act at the levels that influence and feed the top line or pack up and bury the aspirations wherever suitable ... :bootyshake:

Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:36 pm
Site Admin

huw.davies70 wrote:
[Problem is folks, without this so called "drink culture", how many of our rugby clubs could afford to exist? Especially lower down the leagues!

Huw, in my S Wales childhood there was an expression 'You can't have the penny and the bun" and it holds true today...... either rugby cleans up its act at the levels that influence and feed the top line or pack up and bury the aspirations wherever suitable ... :bootyshake:

If they did that, then many of the rugby clubs would simply close down Terry as their main income comes from their bar takings.

Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

gwynt wrote:
huw.davies70 wrote:

If they did that, then many of the rugby clubs would simply close down Terry as their main income comes from their bar takings.

Andrew, my comments were focussed on the macro aspects of Welsh rugby - and I believe they are still valid - unless the mainline feeder and top clubs commit to a fitness and socially conscious regime rugby in Wales will founder.

Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:54 am
REF

The culture is still here and is continuing. Look at how many young players went to the world cup over the mid twenty somethings that had been capped twenty odd times at a young age. Their lifestyle was/is not right, end of story.

Furthermore, if anybody wants to see proof of the drink culture below the top divisions then go and see how much puke has to be cleaned throughout the night at some of the club houses that have hosted youth games on a saturday. It is ok saying that the cream has to be allowed to get to the top but has anybody ever wondered just how much talent is being wasted by letting our clubs be in charge of youth development?

A couple of years ago you would expect a 15 year old player at a rugby club to be capeable of around 5 pints... I'm not sure what the situation is now though.

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:56 am
I could have sworn I posted this an hour ago....

My vote was cast with the ?View of the whole? of Welsh Rugby not just the top four teams.

Many of new young pros seem to have realised that the best way forward is commitment to fitness and that means little or no alcohol during their playing career.

?Booze? rules the Welsh culture not just in rugby but across the valley floor in a way that I?ve not seen in other parts of the world.

As many of you point out without the bar many clubs would fold and even more would be unable to pay boot money.

Is Welsh pro rugby making a progress I think so but it?s got a few years to prove itself.

Is the rest of Welsh rugby changing ?No way? the blazered boozer remains.

The smoke filled club house is the norm.

There is a group of ?Big Darrens? is in every club

:alien: :lol: :alien:

Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:27 am
Site Admin

I agree with everything you have said there Wupert

Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Andrew S wrote:
gwynt wrote:
huw.davies70 wrote:

Andrew, my comments were focussed on the macro aspects of Welsh rugby - and I believe they are still valid - unless the mainline feeder and top clubs commit to a fitness and socially conscious regime rugby in Wales will founder.

I realise that Terry - and certainly from at least semi-pro upwards they need to eradicate booze. But the rugby club still remains in valley towns a central focus point of the community and if you take away the bar from it then the club will die full stop

Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:49 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

I realise that Terry - and certainly from at least semi-pro upwards they need to eradicate booze. But the rugby club still remains in valley towns a central focus point of the community and if you take away the bar from it then the club will die full stop

Just ban the players from drinking then....there that was easy

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:28 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
REF

Andrew S wrote:

Just ban the players from drinking then....there that was easy

You don't even have to go that far - a limit to a couple just after a match during the on-season would probably be enough as you only tend to do light training straight after a match and so the alcohol wouldn't have much of an effect.

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:41 pm
World XV Player

As an example of how big the problem it still is -

I entered one of Llanelli restaurants late one night, sitting opposite me were two of the 'Scarlets senior players and their girlfriends plus two empty wine bottles, numerous empty pint pots, several empty beer bottles and they were looking rather contented

So what you might say, well it was a week night and there was a game on the Saturday - then the waiter brought out their first course of food !

Says it all

Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next