It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Drink culture eradicated from Welsh rugby! 

Has the Drink Culture gone from Welsh rugby?
YES 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
OF course not 46%  46%  [ 13 ]
its slolwy happening 46%  46%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 28

Drink culture eradicated from Welsh rugby! 
Post Drink culture eradicated from Welsh rugby!
According to Lyn Jones that is! In an article in the paper today, he says that Welsh rugby has finally got rid of this culture, and that the players have finaly realised that they have to be professional in their approach.

Good to hear, if true... :wink:

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:00 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Drink culture eradicated from Welsh rugby!
Leighton wrote:
According to Lyn Jones that is! In an article in the paper today, he says that Welsh rugby has finally got rid of this culture, and that the players have finaly realised that they have to be professional in their approach.

...and how much of that is down to Hansen do you think?

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:02 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
Graham Henry complained about it, as had others, so St. Stephen isnt the only one to have noticed...

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:05 pm
World XV Player

In a couple of years (and I mean 2, maybe 3) the older players who were/are part of the booze brothers will start to lose their places to younger boys who have been educated against taking a drink. These younger boys will be fitter and will display a more proffessional attitude because the regions are getting to them young.

I saw an article in the Cynon valley Leader stateing that Dale McIntosh in his capacity as regional youth co ordinator will be helping to coach the valley side. This side is made up of boys from Mountain Ash comp, Blaenglaw, Aberdare Boys comp and St John the baptist comp.

I played for them and had great fun hopfully now the blues(and all the others) are taking the reigns of sides like this drink and bad habits will be educated out of the boys before they can legally hit the bars.

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:15 pm
World XV Player

Graham Henry complained about it, as had others, so St. Stephen isnt the only one to have noticed...

No bloody saint but he was the toughest of the two on it

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
World XV Player

... and even he got 'stoned ' ! :twisted: :twisted:

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:24 pm
World XV Player

I saw an article in the Cynon valley Leader stateing that Dale McIntosh in his capacity as regional youth co ordinator will be helping to coach the valley side. This side is made up of boys from Mountain Ash comp, Blaenglaw, Aberdare Boys comp and St John the baptist comp.

Dale McIntosh was one of those in the centre of the infamous bar brawl at Brive .....

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:26 pm
World XV Player

He's a strong enough character to insist on do what I say not as I do.

If these young lads want to make a career out of rugby they have to listen otherwise its no contract, no career in rugby no Welsh shirt.

I like managment to be chest pokers, the kind of people who leave no room for ambiguity. Maybe he can tell them he was never in contention for a Welsh jersey becuase he wasn't fit enough because he drank.

The lord loves a reformed drunk :lol:

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:56 pm
World XV Player

There's a huge difference between the select very few who will be playing international and regional rugby and the vast majority who will just want to play on a Saturday.

Absolutely right that those with their sights set on the top group need to learn early that booze is out of the equation, but the rest?

Do we foresee a day when Aberthingy thirds come off the field after a hard game against St Wotsit's fourths and they all settle down to milkshakes?

Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Steady on there, lads.

There's a huge difference between the select very few who will be playing international and regional rugby and the vast majority who will just want to play on a Saturday.

Absolutely right that those with their sights set on the top group need to learn early that booze is out of the equation, but the rest?

Do we foresee a day when Aberthingy thirds come off the field after a hard game against St Wotsit's fourths and they all settle down to milkshakes?

Thats my point to aspire to Welsh shirt you must 'behave' and act professionally other wise its St Wotsits and enjoy it.

The cream must rise.

Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:40 pm
World XV Player

So what,

He's a strong enough character to insist on do what I say not as I do.

If these young lads want to make a career out of rugby they have to listen otherwise its no contract, no career in rugby no Welsh shirt.

I like managment to be chest pokers, the kind of people who leave no room for ambiguity. Maybe he can tell them he was never in contention for a Welsh jersey becuase he wasn't fit enough because he drank.
The lord loves a reformed drunk :lol:

... funny I thought that he played for Wales ??? , maybe it was only a representative match !? :?

Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:58 pm
World XV Player

mabont wrote:
Leighton wrote:

Sadly more than it should be.

It wasnt his position to drag Welsh rugby out of the dark ages and into professional rugby, that job should have been done by the clubs and the coaches, but sadly it had to be done by the man at the top when it chould have been done by the men at the bottom.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:08 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
mabont wrote:
Leighton wrote:

Sadly more than it should be.

It wasnt his position to drag Welsh rugby out of the dark ages and into professional rugby, that job should have been done by the clubs and the coaches, but sadly it had to be done by the man at the top when it chould have been done by the men at the bottom.

But I also think Lynn Jones covered this. In the old days there were so many clubs around playing mediocre players that you could not be that strict with them. They would have just gone down the road to the next club. These days with only 4 teams, if a player does do not perform well for whatever reason (attitude, hitting fitness targets or drinking ) then you are out of the club and the chances of gaining a place at another club is virtually nil with such competition for places.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:13 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

porthgain wrote:
But I also think Lynn Jones covered this. In the old days there were so many clubs around playing mediocre players that you could not be that strict with them. They would have just gone down the road to the next club. These days with only 4 teams, if a player does do not perform well for whatever reason (attitude, hitting fitness targets or drinking ) then you are out of the club and the chances of gaining a place at another club is virtually nil with such competition for places.

I think that's it in a nutshell PG.

Lyn Jones said that Australia now have more of a drink problem than us. In Australia, it is the younger players that are drinking and it is perceived as a major problem.

In Wales, Lyn says that once the older guys are weeded out the drink culture will be gone as the younger guys are far more professional.

There will be no room for drinkers any more

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:19 am
Profile ICQ WWW
International Player

fids wrote:

Dale McIntosh was one of those in the centre of the infamous bar brawl at Brive .....

And got arrested for a huge fight in Swansea nightclub. Ended up having to attend court along with Niel Jenkins.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:29 am
Profile YIM