Has David Moffet been good for Wales
The boys done good 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Hell no I'll pay his taxi fare to Lancaster gate 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
He needs more time to get it right 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 20

Moffett for FA 
World XV Player

Post Moffett for FA
It looks as if David Moffett could be headhunted by the English FA after Mark Palios's ignominious departure. Now I also believe(if you can believe all the reports) that he has just signed an extension to his contract to keep him with us until 2008 and he has had an undisclosed salary increase. Mind you contracts in sport aren't worth the paper they are written on IMO.

What do we think should he go or should he stay? IMHO I think he has been good for us, and is sorting us out slowly granted, but we are (or seem to be) getting there.

So I would like to see a big hands off Moffett statement from the WRU.

What do we think guys?

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:31 am
World XV Player

Hes hopeless, I used to give him some credit and some time.

But recent complete lapses in professionalism and business acumen have turned me against him.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:36 am
Profile E-mail WWW
International Player

Post Re: Moffett for FA
Keith Lawrence wrote:
It looks as if David Moffett could be headhunted by the English FA after Mark Palios's ignominious departure. Now I also believe(if you can believe all the reports) that he has just signed an extension to his contract to keep him with us until 2008 and he has had an undisclosed salary increase. Mind you contracts in sport aren't worth the paper they are written on IMO.

What do we think should he go or should he stay? IMHO I think he has been good for us, and is sorting us out slowly granted, but we are (or seem to be) getting there.

So I would like to see a big hands off Moffett statement from the WRU.

What do we think guys?

I rate David Moffett very highly and would be 'gutted' were he to go. However, if he did go, then we would realise what we had lost and had not appreciated his skills while with us. Look how much we have come on since his arrival - would anyone like to go back to the way we were 2 to 3 seasons ago?? I hope not!!

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:36 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

CJ if he was so useless why is he in demand?

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:37 am
World XV Player

CJ if he was so useless why is he in demand?

Jason Jones Hughes was hopeless, he was in demand.

The FA job is a no brainer, they will want someone who wont rock the boat, not that the chief exec position could, at the FA hes only a glorified spokesman, someone else makes the decisions and he has to carry the can for it.

His financial and business acumen has been seriously bought into question recently, something that wont happen at Soho Square, good riddance.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:40 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Junior Player

He's loathed in ARL circles and didn't he screw up the London Olympic bid or something like that, and now on the little I've seen and heard about his tenure at the WRU, I think you should be encouraging him to up sticks and piss off across that magnificent Severn Bridge (built by the frogs so I'm told).

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:41 am
REF

Do they FA really want him after the SportEngland fiasco?

I think he's done alright here, but his methods are fairly unautodox and abrasive. He gets results but doesn't seem to care about how he gets them. I had a lot more time for him in the early years, but everytime he makes a statement he seems less and less professional to me.

However, if we get rid of him, will the creditors foreclose on the stadium?

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:47 am
REF

He's loathed in ARL circles and didn't he screw up the London Olympic bid or something like that, and now on the little I've seen and heard about his tenure at the WRU, I think you should be encouraging him to up sticks and piss off across that magnificent Severn Bridge (built by the frogs so I'm told).

Aye the second Severn bridge was built by frogs - and is run by 'em now. Which isn't comforting when I have to pay the best part of a fiver to get home :cry: . They'll be want to nuclear test here next! :wink:

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:49 am
REF

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0500rugb ... _page.html

Here's the Western Mail's take on it - looks like pure speculation (on a slow rugby day) as the bookies have one bloke ahead of him (see page 2) and Trevor Brooking on the same odds...

Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:27 am
World XV Player

I don't rate the job he's done since he arrived.

I blame him for not standing up to the Barons and petty introverts at first base ie conception of Regions. This is a FUNDAMENTAL failure and will continue to have financial and timing implications for a long time to come!

His background is suspect (ask String)

However............ he who pays the piper calls the tune and ... don't blame the monkey look at the organ grinder ...

.............as long as the WRU Blazers rule the roost, hoping for progress at the reqd rate is just like peeing in the wind.

I wouldn't blame him if he took the opportunity and jumped ship..... mind you the FA is no easy ride either (although there's been a little too much 'riding' recently !!)..

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:11 pm
World XV Player

If he does go who chooses his replacement, the WRU blazer brigade or Barclays bank?

Id like to see him go and then maybe we could get someone in who knows how to be professional and doesnt settle for second best

Someone like Trevor birch, who I may point out is also unemployed at the moment!!

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

If he does go who chooses his replacement, the WRU blazer brigade or Barclays bank?

Id like to see him go and then maybe we could get someone in who knows how to be professional and doesnt settle for second best

Someone like Trevor birch, who I may point out is also unemployed at the moment!!

'Technically' it must be the Blazers but I wish that the banks/creditors would 'foreclose' to an extent that insisted on more direct executive control from them .... this could be an opportunity but would need behind the scenes arm twisting.......

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:34 pm
Site Admin

On the whole, he's done a good job under pretty difficult circumstances. It wasn't he who created the £70 million debt and I suspect if it wasn't for DM's efforts, Barclays Bank would have called in the loans ages ago and gord knows where we'd be then.

I fail to see what more he could have done. He got the clubs to agree on 5 teams as they couldn't on 4, he said he'd run with it. If he had stood up to Llanelli and Cardiff, last season at least we'd still have had 9 teams, and who's to say the WRU would have won.

Remember the costly legal battle between the Welsh FA and Newport/Colwyn Bay etc. The FAW took it all the way and lost. I don't think Moffet could afford to run that risk. He did the right thing, he got the teams to make the agreement and then Samuels handed to him on a plate the opportunity to go to 4 teams and he even got the other four teams to pay for it to happen. Stroke of genius I call that or maybe a tad fortunate?

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
REF

On the whole, he's done a good job under pretty difficult circumstances. It wasn't he who created the £70 million debt and I suspect if it wasn't for DM's efforts, Barclays Bank would have called in the loans ages ago and gord knows where we'd be then.

I fail to see what more he could have done. He got the clubs to agree on 5 teams as they couldn't on 4, he said he'd run with it. If he had stood up to Llanelli and Cardiff, last season at least we'd still have had 9 teams, and who's to say the WRU would have won.

Remember the costly legal battle between the Welsh FA and Newport/Colwyn Bay etc. The FAW took it all the way and lost. I don't think Moffet could afford to run that risk. He did the right thing, he got the teams to make the agreement and then Samuels handed to him on a plate the opportunity to go to 4 teams and he even got the other four teams to pay for it to happen. Stroke of genius I call that or maybe a tad fortunate?

However his communication & man-management skills leave a lot to be desired. Often he makes rash quotes to the press. As a top manager he seems pretty poor at managing people.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:11 pm
Schools District Player

A agree with Andrew on this. DM's detractors are failing to notice the fact that we have now gone through some of the pain to get to a more financially viable rugby structure in Wales.... sad as it has been at times along the way. Onwards and upwards.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:20 pm
Profile WWW