It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:20 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Drinking culture at Principality Stadium 
Author Message
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1097
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
jimcardiff wrote:
has anyone who actually goes to either the game or Cardiff on match day got any real complaints , I don't mean "8 years ago someone stood in my way" either , I think this is getting blown out of proportion by whingers.

Whether you think people are whingers isn't really of any importance. "Whingers" are less likely to buy a 50 quid plus ticket if they think they have a legitimate reason to whinge.

Hopefully the WRU will take action on this if only because according to economic forecasts the UK is in for more than a decade of stagnation in living standards. The socio economic profile of Wales' fans means that of the four home unions the WRU the most vunerable to falling attendances.


Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 6788
Location: rhondda
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
no it would seem all the whingers I have had discourse with over this do not go to the stadium , just whing about what its like there , I miss very few games at the stadium, and come across none of the points being mentioned .

_________________
To be born Welsh is a privilege, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but a song in your heart and poetry in your soul.


Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7358
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
eog wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
has anyone who actually goes to either the game or Cardiff on match day got any real complaints , I don't mean "8 years ago someone stood in my way" either , I think this is getting blown out of proportion by whingers.

Whether you think people are whingers isn't really of any importance. "Whingers" are less likely to buy a 50 quid plus ticket if they think they have a legitimate reason to whinge.

Hopefully the WRU will take action on this if only because according to economic forecasts the UK is in for more than a decade of stagnation in living standards. The socio economic profile of Wales' fans means that of the four home unions the WRU the most vunerable to falling attendances.


But the ticket sales were fairly stable during the recession, despite the increase in price. During this time the WRU had record profits.


Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11529
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Cymru am byth wrote:
eog wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
has anyone who actually goes to either the game or Cardiff on match day got any real complaints , I don't mean "8 years ago someone stood in my way" either , I think this is getting blown out of proportion by whingers.

Whether you think people are whingers isn't really of any importance. "Whingers" are less likely to buy a 50 quid plus ticket if they think they have a legitimate reason to whinge.

Hopefully the WRU will take action on this if only because according to economic forecasts the UK is in for more than a decade of stagnation in living standards. The socio economic profile of Wales' fans means that of the four home unions the WRU the most vunerable to falling attendances.


But the ticket sales were fairly stable during the recession, despite the increase in price. During this time the WRU had record profits.



Its still seen as a great day out for people with a passing interest in the game. Its a piss up, a reason for a party. Its in vogue. Welsh rugby at National level is still fairly sexy, Shane and company are not that distant a memory, there is optimism amongst the zombies :) Lets hope that Golden goose keeps laying because there are certain bitter and twisted amongst us who believe that there is gulf opening that will take a decade of investment to close. Those sad bitter *fuppers*, such as myself, better be wrong because if going to the rugby starts being a bit "so last year" the pink cowboy hats will be off to some other piss up.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1097
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
jimcardiff wrote:
no it would seem all the whingers I have had discourse with over this do not go to the stadium , how do you know :roll: just whing about what its like there , I miss very few games at the stadium, and come across none of the points being mentioned . but that is just your personal experience :roll:

You're coming across as someone who thinks that everyone must be experiencing the same thing they are. It's just that some others "whinge" about it.

It's the sort of viewpoint a modest EQ- Empathy Quotient often generates or perhaps I'm being unkind and you do actually know what everyone in the stadium is experiencing because you're omniscient and omnipresent.
Just one question are your powers effected depending on if the roof is open or not? :D


Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1097
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Cymru am byth wrote:
eog wrote:

Hopefully the WRU will take action on this if only because according to economic forecasts the UK is in for more than a decade of stagnation in living standards. The socio economic profile of Wales' fans means that of the four home unions the WRU the most vunerable to falling attendances.


But the ticket sales were fairly stable during the recession, despite the increase in price. During this time the WRU had record profits. And two Grand Slams


And of course we can bank on those Grand Slams rolling in can't we. It's not as though we've ever gone for years without winning one. :crazy:


Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7358
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
eog wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
eog wrote:

Hopefully the WRU will take action on this if only because according to economic forecasts the UK is in for more than a decade of stagnation in living standards. The socio economic profile of Wales' fans means that of the four home unions the WRU the most vunerable to falling attendances.


But the ticket sales were fairly stable during the recession, despite the increase in price. During this time the WRU had record profits. And two Grand Slams


And of course we can bank on those Grand Slams rolling in can't we. It's not as though we've ever gone for years without winning one. :crazy:


Maybe you are right. But certainly the evidence of ticket sales is counter to your observations. I don't entirely disagree with you. However, I think poor rugby is more likely to put people off going to games than drinking.


Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 6788
Location: rhondda
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
eog wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
no it would seem all the whingers I have had discourse with over this do not go to the stadium , how do you know :roll: just whing about what its like there , I miss very few games at the stadium, and come across none of the points being mentioned . but that is just your personal experience :roll:

You're coming across as someone who thinks that everyone must be experiencing the same thing they are. It's just that some others "whinge" about it.

It's the sort of viewpoint a modest EQ- Empathy Quotient often generates or perhaps I'm being unkind and you do actually know what everyone in the stadium is experiencing because you're omniscient and omnipresent.
Just one question are your powers effected depending on if the roof is open or not? :D

I have not come across anyone who has had a bad experience other than bad rugby, at the stadium and I have asked across several platforms , lots whinge but do not go to the stadium , and keep up hearsay, that the Welsh media are loving , I do not believe is is anywhere near as bad as it is made out to be.

_________________
To be born Welsh is a privilege, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but a song in your heart and poetry in your soul.


Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11529
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
jimcardiff wrote:
eog wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
no it would seem all the whingers I have had discourse with over this do not go to the stadium , how do you know :roll: just whing about what its like there , I miss very few games at the stadium, and come across none of the points being mentioned . but that is just your personal experience :roll:

You're coming across as someone who thinks that everyone must be experiencing the same thing they are. It's just that some others "whinge" about it.

It's the sort of viewpoint a modest EQ- Empathy Quotient often generates or perhaps I'm being unkind and you do actually know what everyone in the stadium is experiencing because you're omniscient and omnipresent.
Just one question are your powers effected depending on if the roof is open or not? :D

I have not come across anyone who has had a bad experience other than bad rugby, at the stadium and I have asked across several platforms , lots whinge but do not go to the stadium , and keep up hearsay, that the Welsh media are loving , I do not believe is is anywhere near as bad as it is made out to be.




If i go i expect people to be a bit pissed and im not surprised or annoyed as a rule. However i have had bad experiences, i can remember Welsh a guy constantly shouting abuse at Gareth Thomas and his sexuality, accompanied with bad language, this was before he had "come out". Now it wouldnt have upset me if it wouldnt have gone on for 80 minutes, but i felt like biting his nose off by the time the game was over as it was tedious as well as offensive. I see your point, but it is very possible to be unlucky enough to be sitting next to or close to a tosser, unlikely granted, but very possible.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7358
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Blindside wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
eog wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
no it would seem all the whingers I have had discourse with over this do not go to the stadium , how do you know :roll: just whing about what its like there , I miss very few games at the stadium, and come across none of the points being mentioned . but that is just your personal experience :roll:

You're coming across as someone who thinks that everyone must be experiencing the same thing they are. It's just that some others "whinge" about it.

It's the sort of viewpoint a modest EQ- Empathy Quotient often generates or perhaps I'm being unkind and you do actually know what everyone in the stadium is experiencing because you're omniscient and omnipresent.
Just one question are your powers effected depending on if the roof is open or not? :D

I have not come across anyone who has had a bad experience other than bad rugby, at the stadium and I have asked across several platforms , lots whinge but do not go to the stadium , and keep up hearsay, that the Welsh media are loving , I do not believe is is anywhere near as bad as it is made out to be.




If i go i expect people to be a bit pissed and im not surprised or annoyed as a rule. However i have had bad experiences, i can remember Welsh a guy constantly shouting abuse at Gareth Thomas and his sexuality, accompanied with bad language, this was before he had "come out". Now it wouldnt have upset me if it wouldnt have gone on for 80 minutes, but i felt like biting his nose off by the time the game was over as it was tedious as well as offensive. I see your point, but it is very possible to be unlucky enough to be sitting next to or close to a tosser, unlikely granted, but very possible.


I accept what you're saying and have some sympathy with the posters who have had bad experiences. However, this is the exception rather than the rule. My thoughts are that perhaps the OP is maybe unlucky in the position of hi debenture and perhaps has a seat next to tickets that get sold off cheap to touts or maybe to a club that has a long bus journey to Cardiff? We've all seen bad behaviour and I don't condone it. I just don't think it is as bad or as rife as many make out. Oi'm not going to convince Eog or Stroud on that so perhaps we should draw a line under this discussion and move on?


Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:00 pm
Posts: 98
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Yes Cymru am Byth and all his likewise thinkers it is time to move on. No you will not convince me otherwise especially as this thread and responses have further reinforced that so many see a match at the Principality as a day out where getting drunk is synonymous with having a good time, regardless of the effect on others. Allied to that it is equally depressing that even when engaging in debate, some so called grown men cannot resist in indulging in abusive comments. What such people are like when they have had a few drinks goodness knows.


Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7358
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Stroud Wizard wrote:
Yes Cymru am Byth and all his likewise thinkers it is time to move on. No you will not convince me otherwise especially as this thread and responses have further reinforced that so many see a match at the Principality as a day out where getting drunk is synonymous with having a good time, regardless of the effect on others. Allied to that it is equally depressing that even when engaging in debate, some so called grown men cannot resist in indulging in abusive comments. What such people are like when they have had a few drinks goodness knows.


I have no doubt that the conclusions you draw on our personalities, based on the comments here are entirely accurate. :D


Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:35 pm
Posts: 16936
Location: Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
FWIW, I'm almost in total agreement with Stroud Wizard. The main difference being, I voted with my feet and just stopped going to the Mil.Stad. entirely? Is it too much to expect, that nowadays, you can take your kids (Grand kids in my case?) to watch a top sporting event in relative safety and enjoyment? The answer probably (in general) is no! What put the tin lid on the whole thing for me, was precisely what Stroud Wizard described, topped-off with a bunch of clowns in the tier above, vomiting over the rows we were sitting in!

But, won't really add to what's been said because as I say, I decided it was no longer the kind of day out that you can take youngsters to so I stopped doing it. If it's your expectation that it's a safe, enjoyable (for adults and kids) day out, that kids will talk about until it's time to go again, then your expectations are wrong, and the only way you can protest it is simply not to go?

_________________
"I have to say, I find that offensive toward (insert cause/belief)"

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!


Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 pm
Profile
Junior Player

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:22 pm
Posts: 75
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
They should have a family section where drunks are not welcome, where kids don't have to listen to louts swearing and acting the goat, and another section for old farts, where drunks, families and anyone else who doesn't want to sit in silence can enjoy the game.


Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 2164
Location: On a very steep hill
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
They should have a family section where drunks are not welcome, where kids don't have to listen to louts swearing and acting the goat, and another section for old farts, where drunks, families and anyone else who doesn't want to sit in silence can enjoy the game.

There used to be an area set aside in the old East Terrace next to the North Stand for schoolkids, but that was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure that for the GS game in 2005 I was sat in the West lower in an area which was supposed to be for youngsters because the ticket was very cheap

_________________
I'm politically correct, a social justice warrior, a Snowflake and a male feminist ......apparently
I'm also a dopey *bar steward* a childish fukkwit and a liar


Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: