It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:40 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 87208
Post Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Great shame IMO, but player welfare etc etc etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38999903

Wales' summer Test match against Tonga will be staged in another country after Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) concerns over the suitability of the stadium in Nuku'alofa could not be satisfied.

The game is now likely to take place in Auckland, New Zealand on 17 June.

The WRU had expressed doubts over the readiness of Teufaiva Sport Stadium, which is being redeveloped.

Another concern was the availability of medical cover should a serious injury occur.

Delegations from World Rugby and the WRU visited Tonga in December to see whether sufficient progress had been made, but concerns remained that the pitch will not be fit for purpose.

The match is now likely to take place the day before the British and Irish Lions take on New Zealand Maori in Rotorua, while Wales' game in Samoa will go ahead as planned in Apia on 24 June.

Tonga has rarely had the the opportunity to host tier-one nations. The last time Wales toured the islands in the South Pacific was more than 20 years ago, in 1994.

_________________
Sometimes we can disagree with the facts

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean


Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 4003
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Why not have it in Wales? At least, then one of the competing sided will benefit financially form it. The cost of flying the team over to Wales must be less than the cost of playing there, and neither side benefits.

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:32 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 930
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
soap wrote:
Why not have it in Wales? At least, then one of the competing sided will benefit financially form it. The cost of flying the team over to Wales must be less than the cost of playing there, and neither side benefits.


Many more Tongans will get to see their national team play in New Zealand than they would if the game was played here. Financially it might be better for Tongan RU as well. We're playing Samoa also so cost wise it would only make sense if Samoa were flown over here to play as well. More summer internationals than summer tour.

To me the tour looks like a blatant attempt to provide handy back up players for the glorious Lions even if it disrupts our national team. It anyone is pulled out of the Welsh camp to just function as a tackle bag or set piece training ballast for the Lions it will be an great insult though one I'm sure many Wales rugby fans will see as being an honour for us.


Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 4003
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
eog wrote:
soap wrote:
Why not have it in Wales? At least, then one of the competing sided will benefit financially form it. The cost of flying the team over to Wales must be less than the cost of playing there, and neither side benefits.


Many more Tongans will get to see their national team play in New Zealand than they would if the game was played here. Financially it might be better for Tongan RU as well. We're playing Samoa also so cost wise it would only make sense if Samoa were flown over here to play as well. More summer internationals than summer tour.

To me the tour looks like a blatant attempt to provide handy back up players for the glorious Lions even if it disrupts our national team. It anyone is pulled out of the Welsh camp to just function as a tackle bag or set piece training ballast for the Lions it will be an great insult though one I'm sure many Wales rugby fans will see as being an honour for us.



Well why not Fiji if we are touring there too. They could probably have a game themselves while they are there :D

If the stadium is acceptable, and the med cover is, why not use it? Fiji could also do with the funds

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30761
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Well sorry but if they are not up to it, the games should be scrapped IMO.


Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:37 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 87208
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Keith L wrote:
Well sorry but if they are not up to it, the games should be scrapped IMO.


Its like the tories and the NHS. All Tonga need is some money to come up to standard but World Rugby deprive them of it because the rich need it more.

Perhaps this one test would pay for all the improvements.

_________________
Sometimes we can disagree with the facts

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean


Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:32 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 4003
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Well sorry but if they are not up to it, the games should be scrapped IMO.


Its like the tories and the NHS. All Tonga need is some money to come up to standard but World Rugby deprive them of it because the rich need it more.

Perhaps this one test would pay for all the improvements.


Not if its in NZ it wont

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 87208
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
soap wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Well sorry but if they are not up to it, the games should be scrapped IMO.


Its like the tories and the NHS. All Tonga need is some money to come up to standard but World Rugby deprive them of it because the rich need it more.

Perhaps this one test would pay for all the improvements.


Not if its in NZ it wont


I know :scratch:

They will use the player welfare card but how many Tongan players (or their opposition players) have died or been disabled there recently?

This risk averse management, where has risk management gone?

_________________
Sometimes we can disagree with the facts

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean


Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:42 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:29 pm
Posts: 8079
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
P$L$A$Y$E$R W$E$L$F$A$R$E


Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:26 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 4003
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
There would probably be (or can be arranged) a liner in port at the time which has all the facilities most A&E units would have. Failing that, when I take out insurance to go abroad, I check there is an air ambulance available. Would the WRU not do the same

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:53 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 42588
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
:D

In fact.

:kermit:


Alternatives to the WRU's decision to look after their elite players and potential elite players? - every time Referee.

:kermit: :kermit:

A happy start for a Saturday.

:D


Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:52 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30761
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Well sorry but if they are not up to it, the games should be scrapped IMO.


Its like the tories and the NHS. All Tonga need is some money to come up to standard but World Rugby deprive them of it because the rich need it more.

Perhaps this one test would pay for all the improvements.


Tongans, much like Fiji, lets say play enthusiastically, so if the ground/medical cover isnt up tomit, why should we risk our players to provide them with cash? IRB, mades millions out of the RWC, why cant they help em out? Instill tink a Tonga/ Fiji tour is unwise however!


Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:34 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 5591
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Well sorry but if they are not up to it, the games should be scrapped IMO.


Its like the tories and the NHS. All Tonga need is some money to come up to standard but World Rugby deprive them of it because the rich need it more.

Perhaps this one test would pay for all the improvements.


Yep absolutely.


Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:31 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 87208
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Keith L wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Well sorry but if they are not up to it, the games should be scrapped IMO.


Its like the tories and the NHS. All Tonga need is some money to come up to standard but World Rugby deprive them of it because the rich need it more.

Perhaps this one test would pay for all the improvements.


Tongans, much like Fiji, lets say play enthusiastically, so if the ground/medical cover isnt up tomit, why should we risk our players to provide them with cash? IRB, mades millions out of the RWC, why cant they help em out? Instill tink a Tonga/ Fiji tour is unwise however!


we havn't seen them play under the new high tackle laws yet, any messing about and they'd be down to 13 or 14 players in no time.

Times have changed

_________________
Sometimes we can disagree with the facts

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean


Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:36 pm
Profile
Online
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 57781
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Tonga V Wales..... in Auckland
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Well sorry but if they are not up to it, the games should be scrapped IMO.


Its like the tories and the NHS. All Tonga need is some money to come up to standard but World Rugby deprive them of it because the rich need it more.

Perhaps this one test would pay for all the improvements.


Tongans, much like Fiji, lets say play enthusiastically, so if the ground/medical cover isnt up tomit, why should we risk our players to provide them with cash? IRB, mades millions out of the RWC, why cant they help em out? Instill tink a Tonga/ Fiji tour is unwise however!


we havn't seen them play under the new high tackle laws yet, any messing about and they'd be down to 13 or 14 players in no time.

Times have changed


There's probably more Tongans in Auckland than there are in Tonga :P

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: